News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Marxism - Not dead?

Started by crazy canuck, June 14, 2009, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Nope, still dead thankfully.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 14, 2009, 06:28:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2009, 06:10:03 PM
When I went through my undergrad I had a number of courses with a heavy dose of Marxist content.  It was taught, maybe not as Gospel, but as the beginning of the proper way to view the world - Foucoult was becoming popular and Marxism was seen as a stepping stone to teaching Foucoult.  My guess is that current teaching teaching Marxism in its historical perspective (pun intended :D) and students wouldnt be required to buy and read Marx's works to learn that.

Today, it is mostly linguistics that serve to «get to» Foucault ; Marxism is still very much important in, say, the sociology of Bourdieu, the language of class, which we still use (incl. on the forum), etc. It is certainly taught to be a useful tool of analysis - not just as a historical curiosity. E. P. Thompson's narrative, for instance, is still yielding a good number of insights. Just like we use, say, Keynes or the Chicago Boys to structure our world, Keynes and the Chicago Boys become part of the tools of analysis useful to study it. Marx came before, and we did structure a lot of our reality in relation to it.

I think we are saying the same thing.  Your students dont have to read the original works of Marx to understand what you are teaching.  I assume you are getting them to read other derivative analysis - such as E.P. Thompson.

Which goes to the point of the article that up until recently nobody was buying Marx's works.

Sheilbh

I'll keep the red flag flying here.  Enrico :wub: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Palisadoes

The article is more referring to state interventionism in the economy during economic crisis, as opposed to collectivising everything (as commies like to do). :bowler:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 14, 2009, 04:05:30 PM
If anyone's showing to be right after all, it's the Keynesians. 

Bookmarked.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Palisadoes on June 14, 2009, 10:01:11 PM
The article is more referring to state interventionism in the economy during economic crisis, as opposed to collectivising everything (as commies like to do). :bowler:
We might as well start referring to monetary policy as Marxist.

Alatriste

Quote from: Zanza2 on June 14, 2009, 04:57:31 PM
More than 1000 copies of Das Kapital were sold last year in Germany and that's a sign that Marxism is not dead? And the year before that only 100 copies of it were sold? I can't really believe that. There must be at least a few hundred political science or history students that have to buy it every year.

Come on, you can find a complete copy on the Net in the time needed to google "Marx The Capital"... I don't know if Marxism is dead, but Marxist texts in dead trees certainly are.

Regarding the general question, I would say Marxism is dead as a philosophy, and at least close to death as a political movement, but Marx the economist is very much alive. 

Zanza

Quote from: Alatriste on June 15, 2009, 05:51:34 AMCome on, you can find a complete copy on the Net in the time needed to google "Marx The Capital"... I don't know if Marxism is dead, but Marxist texts in dead trees certainly are.

Regarding the general question, I would say Marxism is dead as a philosophy, and at least close to death as a political movement, but Marx the economist is very much alive.
Just like not a single work of Shakespeare is sold anymore because they are all freely available on the net?  :huh:

Alatriste

Quote from: Zanza2 on June 15, 2009, 05:56:36 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on June 15, 2009, 05:51:34 AMCome on, you can find a complete copy on the Net in the time needed to google "Marx The Capital"... I don't know if Marxism is dead, but Marxist texts in dead trees certainly are.

Just like not a single work of Shakespeare is sold anymore because they are all freely available on the net?  :huh:

Not the same thing... In all probability most persons buying Shakespeare works are students that don't do it by their own free will, while most persons willing to read Karl Marx deserve a golden :nerd:

Besides, I would bet the sales of Shakespeare probably have fallen a lot since his works are available for free on the Net, but sadly I have absolutely no evidence at the respect.

PDH

I once had Das Kapital on the floor when the basement flooded.  All the other books were ruined, the waters refused to engage Marx.

True story.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

BuddhaRhubarb

ya know It's not like there are only two ways of thinking - Marxist & Capitalist. The financial "crisis" will have fallout imho that takes us beyond such outdated quaint notions as Capitalism/Communism.

as far as I'm concerned... not fast enough... the sooner humankind geta away from the whole "ism" way of thinking about something that is completely integrated into the fabric of our lives (the trading of goods and services for either other goods & services, or some markers (money) denoting a certain value of goods & services that can be gotten later or in a different location.) Why are these things the beginning and end of each other? Neither "system" is realistic or any kind of Utopian panacea.

we must move beyond capitalism, just as the world sped past Marxism, decades ago.
:p

PDH

Go back to Russia, commie.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on June 15, 2009, 12:25:51 PM
Go back to Russia, commie.

can't do it, he just got elected President.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 15, 2009, 12:23:36 PM
we must move beyond capitalism, just as the world sped past Marxism, decades ago.

Why must we move beyond capitalism?  Especially when there is no viable alternative it seems foolish to say we must abandon it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

I agree. I think Buddha is out of touch with reality. Capitalism has its downfalls, sure, but when the sun sets on everything and we all go home for the day, we have the peace and comfort of knowing our economic system works.
Winner of THE grumbler point.