Should the new GM start with a new name?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 14, 2009, 12:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Here's something I'm sure Languish can have fun with, what would you rename General Motors?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31354374/ns/business-autos/
QuoteShould the new GM start with a new name?

As long it isn't something like Glaring Mistake
GM brand is tainted with bailouts, bankruptcy, so is it time for a new name?

AP
updated 1 hour, 18 minutes ago

ValuJet was reborn as AirTran. Philip Morris rechristened itself Altria. Blackwater became Xe.

Would a name change work for beleaguered General Motors?

It would mean casting aside a brand that stood for almost a century as a symbol of American industrial might, but some marketing experts say it might be just the thing to help the once-mighty automaker make a fresh start.

"If the goal is to try and put this company on a massive diet and just turn it into a smaller car manufacturing operation, I'm not sure there'd be that much harm in rebranding," said Jean-Pierre Dube, a University of Chicago marketing professor.

"The brand isn't in good shape," he said, "so they have little to lose."

With GM tarnished by its bankruptcy and its reputation for building cars no one wants, wiseacres have had no trouble coming up with new names.

There's Groveling Motors, after GM's appetite for federal bailouts. And General Moneypit. And, perhaps most popular, Government Motors — after the taxpayers' major ownership stake.

With GM still righting itself, "it's just too soon" to think about a name change, company spokeswoman Susan Garontakos said. But she acknowledged the idea is part of discussions within the company.

"We know we want to reinvent the company and want to build it so that it's something that will show that GM is going to be the company of choice," she said...
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Slargos

HVC

Yeah, because changing its name will make people forget :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

That's ridiculous.  Completely throwing out your corporate name is only useful when that name is so utterly beyond contempt it has no value left.  There are still plenty of people who are "GM" people out there.

The only thing I could imagine that would make sense is if they throw out the GM name (which was never really used on any product) in favour of one of their car brands - perhaps Chevrolet Corp, or Cadillac Inc.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

I like "US Auto", ticker symbol at Wall Street would be "USA". :P It signifies both the origin of GM and who owns it. ;)

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Viking

Government Motors, they won't need to change any of their stationary.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

I wonder what the plan is for unloading the government's stake.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 14, 2009, 02:40:39 PM
I wonder what the plan is for unloading the government's stake.

1. Use Government's ability to print money in time of near deflation to buy GM
2. Sell off non-american assets to gullible foreigners.
3. Negotiate with creditors for shares.
4. Use Government's AAAA credit rating to reorganize debt.
5. Wait until economy recovers and GM share price rises.
6. Sell at profit.
7. Fund Medicare in perpetuity with profit.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

It sounds like a great idea. If it works out than the government can adopt the same thing.

First Obama Dynasty followed by the Giuliani Empire....
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on June 14, 2009, 03:49:20 PM
Giant Mammaries :)

meh, that's your answer for everything!  :hug:

mine is more beer....

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.