Main Menu

Toronto restaurant suggestions

Started by garbon, November 05, 2014, 10:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2014, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 06, 2014, 02:23:55 PM
$2000 steak.

For that price, the cow comes to your table beforehand and personally recommends which of her parts are most tender and juicy.

You have to travel to the end of the universe for service like that. :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2014, 02:34:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2014, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 06, 2014, 02:23:55 PM
$2000 steak.

For that price, the cow comes to your table beforehand and personally recommends which of her parts are most tender and juicy.

You have to travel to the end of the universe for service like that. :nerd:

Highly improbable.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2014, 02:26:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2014, 02:21:56 PM
Sadly, my suggestions won't be much use - I usually dine out in two settings: (1) with my immediate family, so in my neighbourhood, far from U of T; or (2) with clients, so on a business budget.  :blush: Places like "Jump" or "Canoe" (both are excellent, if pricey). "Canoe" has the best view in the city ...

http://www.zagat.com/r/jump-toronto?gclid=CIq8qprX5sECFQYNaQodL4cA8A

http://www.zagat.com/r/canoe-toronto?gclid=CNTvz8PX5sECFQkDaQodQh4AZQ

I used to know good restaurants more generally, back in the day ...

No worries, I'm sure I'll figure something out. And yeah we'll only be able to swing those if I decided to pay for everyone. <_<
The Keg's menu
Affordable for everyone.
Decent for a food chain.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

No way Grab On will go to a chain.  Can't blame him.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 04:23:03 PM
No way Grab On will go to a chain.  Can't blame him.

The Keg is a high end steak restaurant.  Not quite Ruth Chris level (from what I understand), but up there.  Garbo'd have a fine meal if he went there.

That being said, I think Tdot is supposed to have pretty good restaurants in general, so I don't know if that'd be my first choice eating there.

Admiral Yi

Asoka

BTW, does anyone what the Chris in Ruth's Chris means?

Jacob

I don't know if I'd call it "high end" but the Keg is a fine steakhouse. I've heard several people who care about steak say it's as good as the high-end fancy steakhouses, and it's somewhat better value for the money.

That said, if you're going to a new city to eat out as an experience, going to a chain seems to miss the point a bit. Unless, I guess, you're interested in that particular chain and they don't have it in the US?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 04:38:28 PM
Asoka

BTW, does anyone what the Chris in Ruth's Chris means?

I was curious so I looked it up.

Started out as Chris Steak House after original owner Chris Matulich in the 1920s.  Continued as a single restaurant until it was purchased by a lady named Ruth in the 60s.  Apparently part of her purchasing deal is she could only use the name Chris Stake House at the original location, but due to a fire they had to move.  So they named the new place Ruth's Chris Steak House.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2014, 04:37:07 PM
That being said, I think Tdot is supposed to have pretty good restaurants in general, so I don't know if that'd be my first choice eating there.
It wouldn't be mine in any city if I was alone, or with a girlfriend.
It would be mine if I was there with family or lots of friends though, since everyone will find something for their taste and I usually hear no complaints about the prices, the portions, the drinks, etc.

Can't judge for Garbon situation, but he indicated he didn't want to pay for everyone and gave no specific orientation as to what type of meal he is looking for, hence the suggestion of well known chain. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Sadly, my suggestions won't be much use - I usually dine out in two settings: (1) with my immediate family, so in my neighbourhood, far from U of T; or (2) with clients, so on a business budget.  :blush: Places like "Jump" or "Canoe" (both are excellent, if pricey). "Canoe" has the best view in the city ...

Is "Jump" the one at the top of the CN tower?

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on November 06, 2014, 05:18:05 PM

Is "Jump" the one at the top of the CN tower?

Nope.

Canoe is on top of the TD Tower, though - or near enough.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?