Good Late Antique-Early Dark Ages Games that aren't RTW:BI?

Started by Queequeg, November 05, 2014, 02:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Creative Assembly are working on Total War: Attila.

Other than that, no idea.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2014, 11:45:16 AM
Sadly Great Invasions was never fixed nor remade.

To be fair it was never actually good. Nice concept but I wouldn't say it really played out better than even the mod I'd been working on as a replication of it for Eu2. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Found it the other day during a clear out, maybe I should give it a proper go.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 05, 2014, 02:55:06 PM

Found it the other day during a clear out, maybe I should give it a proper go.

Unfortunately it is very buggy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pishtaco

The lead designer of Civ V is working on one, At the Gates.

It looks like there's a COIN boardgame coming on 5th century Britain: http://instagram.com/p/uYVDAeoXc7/?modal=true

Agelastus

Quote from: Pishtaco on November 05, 2014, 03:44:58 PM

That looks...terrible.

Let's have Romans and Barbarians!  :D On a random map!  :huh:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Habbaku

Quote from: Agelastus on November 05, 2014, 06:21:21 PM

That looks...terrible.

:huh:  Didn't bother reading very far, did you?

Quote• Play on a geographically accurate map of Europe or 100% randomly-generated worlds.

I know attention-spans aren't very popular these days, but this is getting silly.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Agelastus

Quote from: Habbaku on November 06, 2014, 02:55:27 AM

That looks...terrible.

Quote• Play on a geographically accurate map of Europe or 100% randomly-generated worlds.

I know attention-spans aren't very popular these days, but this is getting silly.

:huh:

Read four of their previews and looked at all the map shots. Everything random.

So where was that?

Edit: oh, I see. Right at the bottom. Just before the point that says you only have the choice of 10 tribes; I can think of more than that that ought to be included without even looking up my reference books.

Still looks terrible.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

That looks...terrible.

Once Age has decided it is terrible, the reasons don't matter; if he gets the first set of reasons wrong because they are based on ignorant assumptions, he can come up with new reasons in a trice.  Ignorant assumptions are more numerous than facts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on November 06, 2014, 10:52:12 AM

That looks...terrible.

Once Age has decided it is terrible, the reasons don't matter; if he gets the first set of reasons wrong because they are based on ignorant assumptions, he can come up with new reasons in a trice.  Ignorant assumptions are more numerous than facts.

:lol:

Well, at least I'm not as single minded as you. You haven't changed your mind on anything since the Fall of the Empire. :P

[You do realise that if I've read four of the previews I have to have based my opinion on more than just "Random Maps, NO!", don't you?]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on November 06, 2014, 10:52:12 AM

It only really works with the English accent, though.  That adds gravitas.