Court ruling removes offenders from sex offender registry

Started by CountDeMoney, November 03, 2014, 10:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 03, 2014, 03:50:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 03, 2014, 03:48:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2014, 03:44:19 PM
What a shit article. That rape start up had no purpose but to tittilate.

I wasn't tittilated.  Were you?

I think if I had been the husband, I would've left the little shit with more than just "stab wounds".

:yes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2014, 05:30:35 PM
I dislike the idea of punishing someone after they have served their time.

I agree.  That being said, like Ide said, rapists should generally be put to death forthwith.

Razgovory

I think that goes a little to far.  Ideally there would lists but not made public, not just for sex offenses but any crime.  For particular jobs you would have to get a certificate from the state and the state could use that information to disqualify you.  For instance getting a job at a school or day care would require a certificate which is awarded to anyone who doesn't have a conviction of harming children.  Before someone can get a job at a bank they have to get certificate that says they haven't been convicted of embezzlement.  The embezzlement wouldn't count against you getting a job at a school and the child abuse thing wouldn't be held against you for getting a job at the bank.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 03, 2014, 04:37:11 PM
About to say, I've never been a liberal. I blame the spread of confusing American nomenclature.

Being leftist is not the same as being a liberal. Of course, you are not a leftist if you simply resent people who are more wealthy, smart or successful than you are, either.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2014, 02:12:29 AM
I think that goes a little to far.  Ideally there would lists but not made public, not just for sex offenses but any crime.  For particular jobs you would have to get a certificate from the state and the state could use that information to disqualify you.  For instance getting a job at a school or day care would require a certificate which is awarded to anyone who doesn't have a conviction of harming children.  Before someone can get a job at a bank they have to get certificate that says they haven't been convicted of embezzlement.  The embezzlement wouldn't count against you getting a job at a school and the child abuse thing wouldn't be held against you for getting a job at the bank.

This, roughly, is how it works in Poland. Criminal records are not public and you cannot be, as a rule, required by your employer to produce one, but for some jobs you are legally required to produce a clean criminal record (e.g. to work in the police or be admitted to a bar association) or a record showing that you committed no crimes of a particular type (e.g. no money-related crimes to work at a bank).

MadImmortalMan

I'm on board with Raz's ideas here. It's a great start.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

it's better than the current system for sure. 

If sexual offenders can't be rehabilitated/reformed/cured then they should never leave prison alive.  If they leave prison that should be the end of their punishment.

Martinus

I think the biggest problem I personally have with the American sex offenders system is that it is simultaneously too selective and too broad.

It is too selective, because it singles out one category of criminals and treats them differently from all the other criminals. It is too broad, because it lumps together rapists and pedophiles with people who slept with an underage girlfriend or got caught getting a blowjob in a bathroom stall.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2014, 08:38:39 AM
I think the biggest problem I personally have with the American sex offenders system is that it is simultaneously too selective and too broad.

It is too selective, because it singles out one category of criminals and treats them differently from all the other criminals. It is too broad, because it lumps together rapists and pedophiles with people who slept with an underage girlfriend or got caught getting a blowjob in a bathroom stall.

What kind of sick fuck catches people getting blowjobs in bathroom stalls?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2014, 11:20:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2014, 08:38:39 AM

What kind of sick fuck catches people getting blowjobs in bathroom stalls?

Bathroom attendant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017