And we're back!

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo 2014

Started by garbon, November 01, 2014, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 09:41:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2014, 08:15:57 AM
You non-Jewish, non-Catholic people are pathetic, in needing a special month to contrive a reason to feel bad about yourself. I just have to call my mother.

:lol:

I have 11 months to not be motivated to write anything, why should 1 month be any more special?

Today, when talking to my mother, I mentioned off-handedly that my boyfriend's grandmother is dying in a hospital, which makes him feel down, which in turn makes me feel down. This triggered a 5 minute diatribe how I never care about my parents' health and how my father has a bad knee.  :P

CountDeMoney

I had mentioned in passing once that I would like to go to Europe sometime before I die.

"Well, if you ever plan on going to Europe, you should work on your table manners first."

I so want to smash her head with a cupboard door repeatedly.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2014, 10:39:08 AM
I had mentioned in passing once that I would like to go to Europe sometime before I die.

"Well, if you ever plan on going to Europe, you should work on your table manners first."

Sounds like my mother. It's as if they deliberately scan any message for something they can go off tangent on, no matter how trivial and irrelevant. They are like grumblers of nagging.

Syt

I think I may actually prefer the silent judging, complaining to my sisters, and occasional comments ("Well, you must know what you do.") from my Mom.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

What an odd notion, has she actually seen Europeans eat ?

I think your typical Brit was some seriously compromised table manners as compared to many Yanks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2014, 12:36:17 PM

I think your typical Brit was some seriously compromised table manners as compared to many Yanks.

I'd say your handling of fork and knife looks better than our "exchange hands, set one down" maneuver.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2014, 12:41:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 24, 2014, 12:36:17 PM

I'd say your handling of fork and knife looks better than our "exchange hands, set one down" maneuver.

Does that include the classic middle-class fork hold or the more earthy shovel manoeuvre? 

Remember class in all things, dear boy.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2014, 12:41:12 PM

I'm left-handed, so I've always used the "European" method. 

Martinus

Just found a quote from one of my favourite Polish 20th century writers/poets, Julian Tuwim, that I thought I'd share:

"So, you have some chap,
who sits at his desk and writes a novel for months on end.
I don't understand.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just walk into a book store and buy yourself something ready-made for a few zloty."

:D

garbon

After scrubbing out last year (-_-), I'm giving it another go this year. 2nd successful attempt in the making?

Working on a futuristic/survival type piece which I was just told today is superficially similar to Hard to be a God.

Above word count for at least day one. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

That time of year again, eh?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

I love how each year it's the same people saying why they can't finish the goddamn book.  :lol:

Razgovory

Man, I can barely spell my name.  I ain't gonna right no book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2015, 05:42:52 AM
I love how each year it's the same people saying why they can't finish the goddamn book.  :lol:
I think it's only garbon this year. :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould