News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo 2014

Started by garbon, November 01, 2014, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Oh bother, it is that time of year again. Fresh off finally finishing last year, I figured I'd give it another go this year.

I've forgotten how painful day 1 can be when I don't know my characters that well and I haven't yet conceived most of the plot beyond a chapter or two. -_-

Earlier today I stocked myself up my pantry with caffeine sources as well as wine. Two things I found invaluable last year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Good luck with that.  :)

My cultural contribution this month will be to refrain from any attempt at literary fiction.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 01, 2014, 07:43:29 PM
Good luck with that.  :)

Thanks! I survived day 1 with words to spare.

Apparently a lot of people are participating in NYC. They have a bit that shows you how many words people in your region have finished by day - here on day 1, there have been ~1.7 million words written across all New Yorkers. :blink:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Good luck, garbon. :)

Did you ever go back to your work from last year for editing/revision?

I'm throwing my hat into the ring again this year, after three or four failed attemts. :Embarrass:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I started a novel in NaNoWriMo 2010. I haven't finished it yet, but I always write a few chapters every November. At this pace it will be finished by NaNoWriMo 2021.

Razgovory

You know what?  Maybe I'll write a short story.  If I do, I'll post it here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I would too, but I don't think you fancy learning Catalan.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2014, 01:05:03 AM

Very slowly here and there. I printed everything up and re-read it. I even started fiddling with chunks in Scrivener but then largely came to a halt when I couldn't think about where I wanted novel to go from where it was. Lost heart to edit. :blush:

I'm throwing my hat into the ring again this year, after three or four failed attemts. :Embarrass:

Good luck! You can do it. :hug:

garbon

I really don't dig how every year they talk about how the first week is the easiest as you are bubbling with enthusiasm that will dissipate by week 2. I always find week 1 to be the most difficult with it being nearly a literal fight to get words on page.

Martinus

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 09:02:05 AM

Very slowly here and there. I printed everything up and re-read it. I even started fiddling with chunks in Scrivener but then largely came to a halt when I couldn't think about where I wanted novel to go from where it was. Lost heart to edit. :blush:

Personally, I find editing more fun. Getting a first draft down, though. Ugh.

[/quote]

Good luck! You can do it. :hug:
[/quote]

Thanks. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 10:15:08 PM
I really don't dig how every year they talk about how the first week is the easiest as you are bubbling with enthusiasm that will dissipate by week 2. I always find week 1 to be the most difficult with it being nearly a literal fight to get words on page.

I find both applies to me. I'll be enthusiastic about a project, but it takes a bit to get me going. I've been writing a few pages every morning for a while now (nothing cherent, mostly stream of consciousness), and it's still hard.

And I've hit the wall of, "this story sucks, why bother" a few times. The more tim you spend with a project, the more you will notice its problems. The trick is to fix them, not dwell on them.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 10:15:08 PM

All I got was a stream of profanities so far.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Don't try to copy CDM's style; it is inimitable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?