Main Menu

Science and Love, Religion and Hate ?

Started by mongers, November 01, 2014, 04:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2014, 09:27:35 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 02, 2014, 01:16:31 PM
:lol:

"Who taught you to post like this?" "You, grumbler! I learned it by watching you!"

:D   "You learned... poorly."

I learned quite well.  I learned that you have very thin skin and if contradicted enough will take your ball and go home.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2014, 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2014, 09:27:35 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 02, 2014, 01:16:31 PM
:lol:

"Who taught you to post like this?" "You, grumbler! I learned it by watching you!"

:D   "You learned... poorly."

I learned quite well.  I learned that you have very thin skin and if contradicted enough will take your ball* and go home.

I think you mean small, manoeuvrable, skiff-like water craft.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2014, 11:19:21 AM
Western "religion" has never been as pro-science as "Islam" was in the Umayyad and Abbysid Caliphates.  I use quotes because I don't think religion actually had much to do with the matter.

What about Christian Scientists eh?  Oh they believe what?  Nevermind.

Well we have Copernicus, Mendel, and Georges Lemaitre.  How many clergy members in the Abbasid Caliphate did that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2014, 04:13:46 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 03, 2014, 11:19:21 AM
Western "religion" has never been as pro-science as "Islam" was in the Umayyad and Abbysid Caliphates.  I use quotes because I don't think religion actually had much to do with the matter.

What about Christian Scientists eh?  Oh they believe what?  Nevermind.

Yeah, that confused me too, especially as for years I only knew those words in the context of the 'Christian Science Monitor', which I thought was excellent, so I had assumed they were like some American version of socially active Quakers.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: mongers on November 01, 2014, 04:48:33 PM
Listening to some old hippy music and this line crops up:

"It's a new age under science and love, joining together that's building a new age"

Which got me thinking, most scientists I've met seem like good, positive people. Whereas some of the religious people I've know have been somewhat judgemental and a few rather hate filled. Though that's not to say I don't know plenty of decent Christian folk. 

So do you see any connections between the practice of science and love ?  :unsure:

Anecdotal.  Personally, I've known plenty of good folk who were Christian- they just tend to talk about "love" more in terms of "loving" God, which kind of gently creeps me out.  Also, how about the Dawkins-esque atheists, who can get so obnoxiously self-righteous that it's fair to say it crosses the line into "hate?"
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Well we have Copernicus, Mendel, and Georges Lemaitre.  How many clergy members in the Abbasid Caliphate did that?

In the backward West one needed to be a cleric to be educated.  The Muslims had non religious centres of learning far earlier than the West.  As a result they were able to produce such thinkers as http://www.famousscientists.org/muhammad-ibn-musa-al-khwarizmi/

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2014, 10:29:13 AM
One could argue that Western advances happened despite religion. Those advances have been fought at every opportunity by zealots.
Only if one was ignorant.

I'd argue the classical legacy was a far bigger hindrance to science than 'Western' religion.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 03, 2014, 04:46:38 PM
Anecdotal.  Personally, I've known plenty of good folk who were Christian- they just tend to talk about "love" more in terms of "loving" God, which kind of gently creeps me out.  Also, how about the Dawkins-esque atheists, who can get so obnoxiously self-righteous that it's fair to say it crosses the line into "hate?"

Yeah, plenty of hateful atheists around. Some nice ones too.

Same for religionists.

Maybe it's a people thing?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 03, 2014, 05:03:12 PM
One could argue that Western advances happened despite religion. Those advances have been fought at every opportunity by zealots.

I'd argue the classical legacy was a far bigger hindrance to science than 'Western' religion.

I agree.  Aristotle was an enormous hurdle that nearly every field of science had to get past in the early modern era.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on November 03, 2014, 05:23:04 PM

I agree.  Aristotle was an enormous hurdle that nearly every field of science had to get past in the early modern era.

I think it was more of a mixed bag.  Aristotle certainly was a headache, but exposure to many other ancient philosophers showed there was an intellectual world outside of religious belief.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2014, 04:55:34 PM

In the backward West one needed to be a cleric to be educated.  The Muslims had non religious centres of learning far earlier than the West.  As a result they were able to produce such thinkers as http://www.famousscientists.org/muhammad-ibn-musa-al-khwarizmi/

Oh come on, while that was true at some point that had not been true for 500 years by the time Copernicus came along.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Well, probably more of a combination of the Church adopting a philosophic and scientific view which supported its dogma which was then hard to challenge.  If the Church had not made the classical views part of its dogma then the classical legacy would have been much less of an obstacle.

Valmy

So Science would have been better served if all the writings of the Greeks and Romans had all been lost?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2014, 05:31:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2014, 04:55:34 PM

Oh come on, while that was true at some point that had not been true for 500 years by the time Copernicus came along.

Yeah, it took another 500 years, isnt that the point. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 03, 2014, 05:36:53 PM
Well, probably more of a combination of the Church adopting a philosophic and scientific view which supported its dogma which was then hard to challenge.  If the Church had not made the classical views part of its dogma then the classical legacy would have been much less of an obstacle.

It wasn't really that big of an obstacle.  By the time scientific discoveries got going there were plenty of Protestant countries who would support you if you got in trouble with the Church.