News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Science and Love, Religion and Hate ?

Started by mongers, November 01, 2014, 04:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Listening to some old hippy music and this line crops up:

"It's a new age under science and love, joining together that's building a new age"

Which got me thinking, most scientists I've met seem like good, positive people. Whereas some of the religious people I've know have been somewhat judgemental and a few rather hate filled. Though that's not to say I don't know plenty of decent Christian folk. 

So do you see any connections between the practice of science and love ?  :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

No, but there might be a connection between the modern humanities and hate.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on November 01, 2014, 04:48:33 PM
So do you see any connections between the practice of science and love ?  :unsure:

Yeah.  They're called Jesuits.

Brezel

"It's a new age under science and love, joining together that's building a new age"

Which got me thinking, most scientists I've met seem like good, positive people. Whereas some of the religious people I've know have been somewhat judgemental and a few rather hate filled. Though that's not to say I don't know plenty of decent Christian folk. 

Generally speaking, I'd guess that to become a scientist one needs to have a decent upbringing.

Eddie Teach

I'm sure Mengele loved his work.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I don't run into scientists on a regular basis.  If they are like any other type of academic they often petty, vindictive, arrogant and more then a little crazy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2014, 06:28:24 PM

I don't run into scientists on a regular basis.  If they are like any other type of academic they often petty, vindictive, arrogant and more then a little crazy.

After what?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

After they wake up.  They are fine when they are asleep.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

So, Raz's role models are academics.  Who knew?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Yep, in fact I modeled my posting technique on a certain educator on this board.

Eddie Teach

:lol:

"Who taught you to post like this?" "You, grumbler! I learned it by watching you!"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 02, 2014, 01:16:31 PM
:lol:

"Who taught you to post like this?" "You, grumbler! I learned it by watching you!"

:D   "You learned... poorly."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

No all religions are equal.
Some are used as a conduct to channel hatred into outsiders and justify their failed ideology.

Are all religions ideologies?
Not sure. Islam certainly is.

Anyway, the only reason the West had the renaissance and the industrial revolution is because western religions, which shaped western culture, were far more pro-science than any other religions and cultures.

Don't believe all that communist crap about the conflict between religion and science.
That's a modern construct.
If it were true, there would have not been any scientific progress in the West and there would be a shitload of scientists killed by whatever church was in power.
Instead, we got Giordano Bruno, one guy, which by the way was half crazy in ways not related to science.

Whoa, languish is so fucked up and so liberal that even I find myself defending the fucking church, the cradle of anti-Semitism.
Amazing.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tamas

Quote from: Siege on November 03, 2014, 10:05:31 AM
No all religions are equal.
Some are used as a conduct to channel hatred into outsiders and justify their failed ideology.

Are all religions ideologies?
Not sure. Islam certainly is.

Anyway, the only reason the West had the renaissance and the industrial revolution is because western religions, which shaped western culture, were far more pro-science than any other religions and cultures.

Don't believe all that communist crap about the conflict between religion and science.
That's a modern construct.
If it were true, there would have not been any scientific progress in the West and there would be a shitload of scientists killed by whatever church was in power.
Instead, we got Giordano Bruno, one guy, which by the way was half crazy in ways not related to science.

Whoa, languish is so fucked up and so liberal that even I find myself defending the fucking church, the cradle of anti-Semitism.
Amazing.

One could argue that Western advances happened despite religion. Those advances have been fought at every opportunity by zealots.

grumbler

Western "religion" has never been as pro-science as "Islam" was in the Umayyad and Abbysid Caliphates.  I use quotes because I don't think religion actually had much to do with the matter.

Bayraktar!