History shows us again and again how nature points out the folly of man

Started by Warspite, October 31, 2014, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

I have found myself in Tokyo for a month and a bit on a visiting fellowship at a Japanese defence research institution. ^^

Languishites: any tips for what I should get up to while in Tokyo?

I am going to have a lot of free time, by my standards anyway.

Drinks at the Park Hyatt already pencilled in. #forrelaxingtimes
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

mongers

Quote from: Warspite on October 31, 2014, 05:07:09 PM
I have found myself in Tokyo for a month and a bit on a visiting fellowship at a Japanese defence research institution. ^^

Languishites: any tips for what I should get up to while in Tokyo?

I am going to have a lot of free time, by my standards anyway.

Drinks at the Park Hyatt already pencilled in. #forrelaxingtimes

Meet up with Mr and Mrs Lettow.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Definitely take in a sumo match if they're happening while you're there.

It's probably worth it to check out the Tsukiji fish market as, apparently, it's slated for demolition and redevelopment in the not too far future.

For a slight off-the track museum experience check out the Parasite Museum in Meguro. They have the world's largest tapeworm there.

The major history and fine art museums in Tokyo are all great, and definitely worth checking out if they align with your interests.

Explore the food markets in the basements at the various high end department stores. Definitely go into a bunch of random restaurants and izakayas that look appealing from the outside.

Not sure what the weather is like, but checking out the Harajuku area for people watching on a Sunday is good too.

That said, given what you said I assume you have some local contacts as well. Definitely chat them up and see if they can give you some recommendations and/ or show you around; it's always better to have locals give you pointers.

If you can get someone to point you at a good onsen, that's a worthwhile experience to have as well, though better to do socially than solo especially the first time.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Try to see a traditional Kabuki.  The modern ones are fine too; but the audience really gets into the traditional ones.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Oh and see if there are any temple or neighbourhood festivals going on in the vicinity. Those are always interesting to watch when they happen.

Josquius

Get over to kansai if you get a few free days. Much more interesting place with himeji, nara and kyoto.
And yes. Apparently the lettows.

Hakata ramen is the stuff you want to eat.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Keep in mind you are a guest in the country and so certain behavior should be avoided.  For instance don't imitate characters in anime and fondle school girls on the train. I don't think I can stress that enough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2014, 01:40:04 AM
You totally ought to meet Lettow though.

And his wife. Make sure she's a woman and not a doll or a pillow.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob