And we're back!

Main Menu

Evil clowns attack in France

Started by Syt, October 30, 2014, 11:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-28/clown-terror-spreads-in-france/5846008

QuoteClown terror spreads in France, another teenager arrested

A 14-year-old dressed as a clown has been arrested near Paris for attempting to attack a woman, in the latest incident of fake, evil clowns terrorising passers-by in France.

Complaints have poured in recently over "armed clowns" wreaking havoc in various parts of the country.

Police have detained several people dressed as the pranksters - some carrying pistols, knives and baseball bats.

The bizarre phenomenon has even prompted anti-clown vigilantism, forcing police to try to quell the hysteria by saying there have only been a few sightings of the terrifying clowns.

On Monday, a woman who had just got out of her car in Chelles, an eastern suburb 18 kilometres from central Paris, called the police, saying two clowns - one of whom was armed with a fake axe - had attacked her, a source said.

They escaped when a passer-by armed with a baseball bat tried to stop them.

One of the pranksters was later detained when police spotted him, white make-up still covering his face.

In a separate incident just half-an-hour afterwards, a dozen people wearing the smiling, white masks associated with the Anonymous hacktivist collective attacked three youths and stole their mobile phones at a station in Melun, a south-eastern suburb of Paris.

The "evil clown" trend previously seen in the United States and Britain only began in the north of France in early October.

In the town of Bethune, a 19-year-old received a six-month suspended jail term last week for threatening passers-by while dressed as a clown.

The "clowns" have been "mostly spotted outside schools, but also on public roads, in bushes, and in a square," a police source in northern France said.

"Their targets are often young children or teenagers, but also adults." It then spread to the south of France.

'Clown hunters' also on police radar

French police released information warning against armed anti-clown vigilantes taking to the streets.

"The National Police have received many reports of clowns frightening passers-by, but many are fanciful and the proportion of children," the police service said on its Facebook page. 

"Symptomatic of the impact of the internet, this phenomenon can generate harmful individual derivatives and disturbances to public order.

"On social networks, groups calling for collective mobilisations against clowns have appeared.

"Any person, aggressive clowns or hunters of clowns, discovered in possession of a weapon on the highway will be arrested."

Police on Saturday night arrested 14 teenagers dressed as clowns and carrying weapons in the Mediterranean port town of Agde.

In the nearby city of Montpellier, a man disguised as a clown was arrested after beating a pedestrian with an iron bar.

Theories abound as to the origin of the not-so-funny trend of violence in a country where Halloween has yet to take hold.

The suggestions include a challenge launched on social networks, a popular video on YouTube showing a terrifying clown pranking people or even a recent episode of the popular TV series American Horror Story featuring Twisty the killer clown.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

When are the "moderate" clowns going to step up and condemn these attacks?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2014, 12:12:29 AM
:lmfao:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

It's more of a sad clown vs happy clown issue.

Martinus

I love that there are "passerbys armed with a baseball bat" in Paris. :D

Maybe that was a baguette?

The Larch

Maybe it's a viral campaign to promote the latest American Horror Story.  :P

KRonn

What a bunch of clowns these people are....

Malthus

:D

*Cue ten-page argument as to why putting on the makeup and funny wig inevitably leads to violence*
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

No word yet if these clowns are from Outer Space.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on October 31, 2014, 05:34:32 AM
Maybe it's a viral campaign to promote the latest American Horror Story.  :P

Twisty was not evil, just misunderstood.  :secret:

Josquius

It is said that clowning is dying in large part due to evil clowns in the media.
Could this be the final nail?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2014, 10:16:52 AM
:D

*Cue ten-page argument as to why putting on the makeup and funny wig inevitably leads to violence*

Violence is not intrinsic to clowning.  Rather it's about the interrelatedness of happiness and sadness.

derspiess

I could imagine this being hazardous for the clowns.  Some people don't just run away.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

This anything to do with the drones over French nuclear plants?  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"