Unmanned NASA-contracted rocket explodes; damage is 'significant'

Started by garbon, October 28, 2014, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

The space program of exploding rockets has failed.  It is time to make them work again!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on October 30, 2014, 04:33:18 AM
The space program of exploding rockets has failed.  It is time to make them work again!
That's not the Kerbal way!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 30, 2014, 12:16:45 AM
Oh, excuse me.  ONE government rocket did actually explode: the Ariane 5 in 1996.  Self-destructed due to a floating-point error, which sounds EXACTLY like what's been described happened here. :lol:
Many government rockets have exploded.  Explosions are one of the risks of rocket launches.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 12:11:04 AM
Let's not get in the way of some good ol' fashioned NASA bashing. 

We should bring back NASSA as a low cost competitor.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2014, 06:38:33 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 30, 2014, 12:16:45 AM
Oh, excuse me.  ONE government rocket did actually explode: the Ariane 5 in 1996.  Self-destructed due to a floating-point error, which sounds EXACTLY like what's been described happened here. :lol:
Many government rockets have exploded.  Explosions are one of the risks of rocket launches.

Actually, this was a government rocket.  It was just that it was the Soviet government's, not ours.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2014, 09:28:39 AM

You bitch about mail service, you really want to play around with the satellites that deliver your telecoms?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 09:51:16 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2014, 09:28:39 AM

You bitch about mail service, you really want to play around with the satellites that deliver your telecoms?

60% of worldwide commercial satellite launches are currently being or to be performed by a French (quasi-)private company.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 30, 2014, 10:45:16 AM
60% of worldwide commercial satellite launches are currently being or to be performed by a French (quasi-)private company.

I'd take a French quasi over Spaceholder Value, Inc., any day of the week.

"Gee, we've got this massive government contract.  What can we do to reduce costs in order to maximize profits since we can't lay off everybody just yet?  I know:  FORTY FUCKING YEAR OLD SOVIET ENGINES ON EBAY!!!! PROFFET!"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

That decision was just... bizarre.  The importer has a license to manufacture them.

That said, right now I would take SpaceX over anyone else who has rockets.  Their only flaw at the moment is that they are lagging in lift capacity.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 30, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
That decision was just... bizarre.  The importer has a license to manufacture them.

Why is that bizarre?  Reduce costs to maximize profits.  Buy old Soviet shit and refurbish it in 11Bravo's garage so you don't have to have spend the money in manufacturing and labor. 
It's straight out of the bullshit privatization playbook, as if Yi started his own space program.

Admiral Yi

The truly pathetic part of your stalking is that you think your drivel makes sense.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 12:21:11 PM

Why is that bizarre?  Reduce costs to maximize profits.  Buy old Soviet shit and refurbish it in 11Bravo's garage so you don't have to have spend the money in manufacturing and labor. 
It's straight out of the bullshit privatization playbook, as if Yi started his own space program.

Your assumption that the solution for your employment troubles is more state control over everything is cute.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2014, 12:27:41 PM
The truly pathetic part of your stalking is that you think your drivel makes sense.

I never thought that my drivel makes sense. :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on October 30, 2014, 12:33:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 12:21:11 PM

Your assumption that the solution for your employment troubles is more state control over everything is cute.

Putting NASA back to where it once was, as opposed to the broken version of what it is now, has nothing to do with me, Beetlejuice.  NASA had plenty of private contractors working for it before, but they were contractors, not vendors.  This model's broken.