Unmanned NASA-contracted rocket explodes; damage is 'significant'

Started by garbon, October 28, 2014, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: dps on October 29, 2014, 07:33:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 29, 2014, 06:47:45 PM

I was at college (junior high equiv. 16-18 year olds) at the time of the first launch and they stopped classes so we could see it live.  :cool: 

I thought you were a lot younger than that.

No, I just come across as that immature.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2014, 07:15:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2014, 06:54:25 PM
They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken an incredibly small percentage of everything we have, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers.  And what has NASA ever done for us?
There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of NASA once and for all.

Stop that.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2014, 06:43:28 PM
Apparently the rocket engines this private company used were refurbished 40 year old Russian models.  :bleeding:

But hey, giving NASA money is bad;  let's give it to the private sector instead!

Quote[Elon] Musk: The results are pretty crazy. One of our competitors, Orbital Sciences, has a contract to resupply the International Space Station, and their rocket honestly sounds like the punch line to a joke. It uses Russian rocket engines that were made in the '60s. I don't mean their design is from the '60s—I mean they start with engines that were literally made in the '60s and, like, packed away in Siberia somewhere.

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 29, 2014, 11:14:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2014, 10:44:09 PM
Government bad, privatization good, etc.

Yeah, lord knows government rockets never blow up!

Clearly private industry needs to learn this lesson and not have their customers rely on 40 year old government rockets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2014, 11:10:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 29, 2014, 11:06:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2014, 10:44:09 PM
Government bad, privatization good, etc.
Musk good.

Go fuck yourself with a 40 year old Russian rocket engine.
Look jackass, I'm sure even you can understand that just as there are good and bad governments, there are good and bad companies.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2014, 11:17:01 PM

Clearly private industry needs to learn this lesson and not have their customers rely on 40 year old government rockets.

Quote from: Alan ShepardIt's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Technically true.  Challenger and Columbia were due to rocket damage, but not actually destroyed because of a rocket explosion.  Apollo 1 just caught fire, and all but one of the rest were crashes (the other one being the Soyuz 11 decompression).
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 29, 2014, 11:52:09 PM

Technically true.  Challenger and Columbia were due to rocket damage, but not actually destroyed because of a rocket explosion.  Apollo 1 just caught fire, and all but one of the rest were crashes (the other one being the Soyuz 11 decompression).

Let's not get in the way of some good ol' fashioned NASA bashing. 

DontSayBanana

Oh, excuse me.  ONE government rocket did actually explode: the Ariane 5 in 1996.  Self-destructed due to a floating-point error, which sounds EXACTLY like what's been described happened here. :lol:
Experience bij!

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 12:11:04 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 29, 2014, 11:52:09 PM

Let's not get in the way of some good ol' fashioned NASA bashing. 

Yeah, way to focus on the actual point, rather than complete and utter bullshit.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 30, 2014, 12:16:45 AM
Oh, excuse me.  ONE government rocket did actually explode: the Ariane 5 in 1996.  Self-destructed due to a floating-point error, which sounds EXACTLY like what's been described happened here. :lol:

You are excused for being a pedantic douchebag.

0 rows returned