News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lucasarts Games come to GoG

Started by Syt, October 28, 2014, 09:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/28/x-wing-tie-fighter-sam-max-gog/

QuoteGOG weren't the first joint in cyberspace slinging vintage video games, but they did get publishers digging a lot deeper into their archives (Good Old Games, they called themselves back in the day). Most publishers came to realise that hey, maybe it's good for everyone if folks can buy our own games, but some were tangled in knots or lost in mysteries for yonks. It took almost five years for a group to free System Shock 2, and we're still waiting for the best parts of the LucasArts catalogue.

Or we were, anyway. Here, they're coming! Sam & Max Hit the Road, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter are now on GOG – the first time they've been on sale in years – as heralds of a re-release-o-rama.

GOG and Disney Interactive say "20+ classic titles" from Lucasfilm (film, Arts, whichever) will come to GOG in time, but they're kicking it off with only six.

X-Wing Special Edition and TIE Fighter Special Edition are £6.19 apiece, while Sam & Max Hit the Road is £3.69. They've been available elsewhere for a while, but you can also get The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for £6.19 (they'll be £7.79 once launch discounts expire) and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is £3.69.

What might these other 15 or so games be? Cross your fingers, gang, for Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, and all the Monkey Island games. We probably won't get Grim Fandango, as Double Fine are currently remastering that for re-release. It's a fair bet that things already on Steam and other digital stores, like the Jedi Knight games, will be coming over too.

LucasArts games have dominated GOG's community wishlist for years and I too am jolly glad to see some of them emerge from the archives. Sam & Max is one of only four PC games I still own on physical media, and I find possessions slightly unnerving.

X-Wing! TIE-Fighter! Indy! Sam & Max! :w00t:

(Here's hoping for Indy III, Zak McKracken, Maniac Mansion, DoTT, X-Wing Alliance. Maybe Afterlife?)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

And how did I miss that Indy a.t.F.o. Atlantis, Loom and The Dig are already on Steam? Hell, there's even a bundle. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

TIE Fighter and Sam and Max?  Hells yeah!

Count me in for hoping for X-Wing: Alliance, BTW.  Kain and I got clever and used his Steel Battalion controller with an Xbox-USB dongle and hacked drivers for that game.  Using a full console to pilot a YT freighter?  Glorious.
Experience bij!

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Sophie Scholl

I was so excited when I heard this.  I love GoG.  Now I need to hunt down a joystick for the computer as I doubt my ancient one will work.  I also have been hoping for Blizzard to release Warcraft I and II and Starcraft I via GoG as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

mongers

Woah, good news, thanks for the top off.

If only they'd release Day of the Tentacle, I could die a happy chap.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

In fact, this was something I was hoping for when Lucas sold out to Disney. Disney are pretty pragmatic when it comes to squeezing money out of old licenses. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

I suspect this is the kind of thing that sounds awesome...until you actually try playing the game and the horrificly dated graphics makes your eyeballs bleed.

That is what happened to me when I revisited Jedi Knight.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 28, 2014, 03:20:55 PM
I suspect this is the kind of thing that sounds awesome...until you actually try playing the game and the horrificly dated graphics makes your eyeballs bleed.

That is what happened to me when I revisited Jedi Knight.

Yeah, I have such good memories of some of these games I am not sure I want to actually revisit them for that very reason.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Pretty much. I got super excited until I checked out the TIE Fighter screenshots. I shall stay strong and stay away from these to protect my very fond memories.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

We need a current-gen Star Wars space sim. :(

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tamas on October 28, 2014, 04:26:35 PM
Pretty much. I got super excited until I checked out the TIE Fighter screenshots. I shall stay strong and stay away from these to protect my very fond memories.

I usually have this problem with low-res classic games, but TIE Fighter does such a good job taking you into its environment that after the first mission or two, it feels natural again.
Experience bij!