Main Menu

Political Polarization & Media Habits

Started by FunkMonk, October 24, 2014, 05:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2014, 06:42:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2014, 04:14:15 PM
Right wingers seem to have an aversion to newspapers

Do you just make this stuff up?  I don't speak for everyone on the right, but in general I still prefer to get my new via print media.  Well, I use electronic media to catch breaking news, but I'll go to print for in-depth coverage.

No... I based it on the graph.  Only one newspaper was shifted to the right and only slightly, the Wall Street Journal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Do you just make this stuff up?  I don't speak for everyone on the right, but in general I still prefer to get my new via print media.  Well, I use electronic media to catch breaking news, but I'll go to print for in-depth coverage.

Yeah, in my experience it is more of a class issue than politics issue, with working/lower classes generally avoiding printed media (except for tabloids, but it seems the tabloid culture is less widespread in the US than, say, in the UK) and upper/professional/creative/academia classes using printed media. This may skew things in favour of the left using printed media more often but I don't think this has anything to do with political views.

That being said, the line between printed and digital media is becoming more blurred - if I buy and read an issue of the Economist on my iPad, am I reading a printed or a digital medium?

And also, as you point out, it all depends on the definition of "news".

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2014, 11:56:38 PM

No... I based it on the graph.  Only one newspaper was shifted to the right and only slightly, the Wall Street Journal.

Yeah, but I would say the printed positions on the graph are not very representative, to be honest.

The New Yorker is a lifestyle magazine, so this is a bit silly it is here at all.
The Guardian is a UK magazine and The Economist is also an international/Atlanticist one (nb, considered centre-right in Europe) and there is really no equivalent of something like that on the right.
This leaves the WSJ as the only proper American politically oriented printed medium on the graph.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2014, 01:59:16 AM
This leaves the WSJ as the only proper American politically oriented printed medium on the graph.

The NY Times, Washington Post and USA Today are all American-oriented printed media.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2014, 11:56:38 PM

Yeah, but I would say the printed positions on the graph are not very representative, to be honest.

The New Yorker is a lifestyle magazine, so this is a bit silly it is here at all.
The Guardian is a UK magazine and The Economist is also an international/Atlanticist one (nb, considered centre-right in Europe) and there is really no equivalent of something like that on the right.

It was my understanding that the media on here is not necessarily right or left wing, it's just showing who consumes it.  The newspapers are on the left side of the graph not because they are left wing, but because right wingers shy away from them, as they shy away from any form of media that isn't explicitly reinforcing their ideas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2014, 10:23:49 PM
I don't think tendencies on a pollster style level really are determinative of every single person.  Just trends.  Don't take it personally.  Of course only for very conservative people did local print media even show up :hmm:

This is simply reporting "main source" stuff, except for the graph produced in the OP.  I don't think you can read this as "right-wingers don't read print media" because there is no data that tells us that.  It only says that fewer of them have it as their "main source for news."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Yup. The report simply presents the results of the survey. Interpretation of the data is left up to the reader.

The graph showing the average ideological placement of each media source's viewers was the most interesting in my opinion, but a lot of the other graphics are quite interesting as well.

I thought this one was pretty cool:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2014, 10:21:43 PM
None of that really addresses the issue of print vs electronic media.

Fair enough. The survey didn't specifically go into print vs electronic media.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Not really; it may have fiction and a shitload of other stuff, but its centerpiece works are still long form narrative journalism.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 26, 2014, 09:47:23 AM
Yup. The report simply presents the results of the survey. Interpretation of the data is left up to the reader.

The graph showing the average ideological placement of each media source's viewers was the most interesting in my opinion, but a lot of the other graphics are quite interesting as well.

I thought this one was pretty cool:

Lol, pretty big "mixed" grouping for Fox News.  I bet there's a lot of the "I'm not racist when it comes to spics" crowd in there.

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2014, 06:59:53 AM
I don't think tendencies on a pollster style level really are determinative of every single person.  Just trends.  Don't take it personally.  Of course only for very conservative people did local print media even show up :hmm:

This is simply reporting "main source" stuff, except for the graph produced in the OP.  I don't think you can read this as "right-wingers don't read print media" because there is no data that tells us that.  It only says that fewer of them have it as their "main source for news."

It doesn't even say that, because it basically only deals with national or international media, and doesn't address local media at all.  My impression (which, granted, may be biased or simply incorrect) is that many older Americans still get a lot of their news from their local newspaper.  Of course, older doesn't necessarily mean more conservative, but there is some correlation.

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 26, 2014, 07:02:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2014, 06:59:53 AM

It doesn't even say that, because it basically only deals with national or international media, and doesn't address local media at all.  My impression (which, granted, may be biased or simply incorrect) is that many older Americans still get a lot of their news from their local newspaper.  Of course, older doesn't necessarily mean more conservative, but there is some correlation.

All the more reason things will be better when they are dead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Eddie Teach

What is this "web" of which you speak?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 26, 2014, 07:02:10 PM

It mentions local media, actually.  Not much, to be sure, but "local TV," "local radio," and "local newspaper" are among the responses for a small group (not the "main source" question, but the "3 sources" question).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!