News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Political Polarization & Media Habits

Started by FunkMonk, October 24, 2014, 05:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
That doesn't explain the relative position of the "left" media.  How the fuck is MSNBC to the right of The Economist, to mention only two examples?
Because that's what the results showed.  More people who identified more left had read the Economist in the last week than had seen MSNBC.  This graph isn't a left-right ranking of shows/publications; its a left-right ranking of viewers/readers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2014, 04:18:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2014, 04:14:15 PM
Two major factors:  Youth and eclectic worldview.  College kids are more likely to get news from the Daily Show or Buzzfeed and they are more likely to lean left.  Other Leftists take in a wider variety of sources.  Right wingers seem to have an aversion to newspapers, and seem to prefer an explicit right wing bias, to the point where they seem to prefer getting new information from radio shows that simply tell that was is good and bad.

That doesn't explain the relative position of the "left" media.  How the fuck is MSNBC to the right of The Economist, to mention only two examples?

Okay, I think one of us is reading the graph wrong.  Since you were in bad mood this week I'll let you decide who it is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Well don't leave us in suspense, who's right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Right wingers seem to have an aversion to newspapers

Do you just make this stuff up?  I don't speak for everyone on the right, but in general I still prefer to get my new via print media.  Well, I use electronic media to catch breaking news, but I'll go to print for in-depth coverage.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

Quote from: dps on October 25, 2014, 06:42:32 PM

Do you just make this stuff up?  I don't speak for everyone on the right, but in general I still prefer to get my new via print media.  Well, I use electronic media to catch breaking news, but I'll go to print for in-depth coverage.

Actually, the survey does talk about this (in a general sense of course, not about you specifically).

QuoteThose with consistently conservative political values are oriented around a single outlet—Fox News—to a much greater degree than those in any other ideological group: Nearly half (47%) of those who are consistently conservative name Fox News as their main source for government and political news. Far fewer choose any other single source: Local radio ranks second, named by 11%, with no other individual source named by more than 5% of consistent conservatives. Those with mostly conservative views also gravitate strongly toward Fox News – 31% name it as their main source, several times the share who name the next most popular sources, including CNN (9%), local television (6%) and radio (6%) and Yahoo News (6%).

The part about trust/mistrust of media sources is pretty interesting, btw.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Given CNN's ratings I have a hard time believing that many people consider it their #1 news source.  Or maybe they just very rarely check the news.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ancient Demon

Why isn't "The Young Turks" on the chart? I don't much care for them myself, but my brother watches them religiously.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 25, 2014, 09:26:44 PM

Actually, the survey does talk about this (in a general sense of course, not about you specifically).

QuoteThose with consistently conservative political values are oriented around a single outlet—Fox News—to a much greater degree than those in any other ideological group: Nearly half (47%) of those who are consistently conservative name Fox News as their main source for government and political news. Far fewer choose any other single source: Local radio ranks second, named by 11%, with no other individual source named by more than 5% of consistent conservatives. Those with mostly conservative views also gravitate strongly toward Fox News – 31% name it as their main source, several times the share who name the next most popular sources, including CNN (9%), local television (6%) and radio (6%) and Yahoo News (6%).

The part about trust/mistrust of media sources is pretty interesting, btw.

None of that really addresses the issue of print vs electronic media.

Valmy

I don't think tendencies on a pollster style level really are determinative of every single person.  Just trends.  Don't take it personally.  Of course only for very conservative people did local print media even show up :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Nothing surprising here, about what is to be expected. The radical right is considerably more insular than the radical left, and Fox News is consistently the worst possible mainstream news source one can imagine.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.