News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Upgrading video card

Started by Pedrito, October 23, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on October 31, 2014, 01:32:25 PM

Wait for Windows 10 and DirectX 12 to be on the market, than think of an upgrade.
Whatever we tell you now will be outdated one year from now.

General advice: buy another power supply, don't upgrade to the latest&newest since they carry a prime to early-adopters, think of what you want to do, what kind of games and on how many monitors you intend to play on.

I don't understand.  Why do I need to wait for Windows 10 to be released before I buy a new CPU?  :unsure:

I have absolutely no idea about the brand names of power supply units.  I'll trust you guys that mine sucks  :blush:  Kinda hard for me to pay US$200 to replace a perfectly functioning power supply though. 

When I buy a new CPU, I probably won't buy a quad core one. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 31, 2014, 06:57:34 PM
I don't understand.  Why do I need to wait for Windows 10 to be released before I buy a new CPU?  :unsure:
You don't need to.  But since there's a new OS and a new technology around the corner, I would wait to upgrade until it is out, until we know the required specs of the new OS, until we know what the new games will require to take advantage of the new OS and its DX 12 API.

I have absolutely no idea about the brand names of power supply units.  I'll trust you guys that mine sucks  :blush:  Kinda hard for me to pay US$200 to replace a perfectly functioning power supply though.
Well, don't replace it right now, but when you change the motherboard and CPU, look for a one that is "80 plus Bronze "  or "80 Plus Gold" if electricity is very expensive in HK (it consumes less power, but with my local prices on electricity, it would take me about 7-8 years to recuperate my investment, so it really depends on the price of electricity in your area).

Aside the economy, they have less power fluctuations, so better for the hardware.

When I buy a new CPU, I probably won't buy a quad core one. 
Well, games are poorly written, they don't really take advantage of all cores, that's why Intel performs better in games with only 2-4 cores compared to AMD's 6-8 cores cpus.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Canadian video cards pricing is pissing me off.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Pedrito

Ok, it's a GTX 760, it's decided.

Now, what manufacturer? Zotac, EVGA, MSI, Asus?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

MSI or the cheapest you can find.

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on November 04, 2014, 11:50:25 AM
Ok, it's a GTX 760, it's decided.

Now, what manufacturer? Zotac, EVGA, MSI, Asus?

L.
MSI TwinFrzr is imho the best retail card, so I'll go with Grey Fox on this :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2014, 09:05:15 AM
Canadian video cards pricing is pissing me off.
When our $ was at parity, we didn't get it at parity.  Now that it's lower, we pay the premium...
But nobody is screwing us, no.

Grey Fox

Still pisses me off to see a 120$ difference between the US & Canada price.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 04, 2014, 02:15:12 PM
Still pisses me off to see a 120$ difference between the US & Canada price.
check deals on Ebay, or wait Black Friday.

Grey Fox

Black Friday it is/was.

I'm hoping the 770 go down to the right prices or I'm simply going to wait for the 960.

DGuller

Black Friday started at noon today on Newegg.  Didn't see any significant discounts on video cards, though.

Grey Fox

Bought a team Red R9 280. May god have mercy on my soul.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 27, 2014, 08:10:03 PM
Bought a team Red R9 280. May god have mercy on my soul.
I will.  Welcome to the AMD family! ;)

Norgy

Got a new: eVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0. Best, coolest card I've ever had.

Josquius

I should upgrade mine soon.
There haven't been any big changes in motherboard slots over the past 3 or 4 years right?
██████
██████
██████