News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Upgrading video card

Started by Pedrito, October 23, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

MSI is currently the cream of the crop at manufacturing video cards.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2015, 12:24:05 PM
Why MSI? They do have that.
Two models in fact :s

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/msi-gtx-970-gaming-4g-gm204-4gb-graphics-cards-2763014
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/msi-gtx-970-oc-gm204-4gb-graphics-cards-3482028
the regular (1st) one seems to have better fans, the other one (OC) is overclocked by default but seems to have lesser fans, so might be prone to overheating.
I'd go with the first one and overclock it myself by 26mhz.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

How can you tell about the fans? :s
I'm leaning towards the overclocked one actually- looking at the inputs it seems to have 2 (more?) hdmi vs 1.

BTW. What are those slots that look like HDMI but they're not? My current card has one too.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Digiport, it handles 4k resolution.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

Stay the hell away from reference design on AMD cards. The nVidia one isn't superb either, but far better than AMD's which is something from 2005.

If energy consumption is something to consider, nVidia's cards generally use 80-100 watts less.

Josquius

I did buy one...msi....turns out it needs a 6 pin and a 8 pin power connector. I do not have. :pinch:
Tomorrow I'll have to make an emergency trip to a computer shop and hope I buy a psu with the right stuff
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on February 06, 2015, 12:48:53 PM
I did buy one...msi....turns out it needs a 6 pin and a 8 pin power connector. I do not have. :pinch:
Tomorrow I'll have to make an emergency trip to a computer shop and hope I buy a psu with the right stuff
http://store.antec.com/truepowergold/
or
http://store.antec.com/highcurrentgamer/

Norgy

Get a modular one. One that's at the very least bronze rated, preferably silver or gold.

Hey, viper, are Antec PSUs good? I've only used Corsair.

Josquius

I went and bought a new PSU.
The card is big, I wasn't sure it would fit in my decent sized case, thought I would have to raise my motherboard, turned out all OK though.
But guess what.....the freaking thing still refuses to work :ultra:
The fans are moving and it looks like it is working physically but no output is coming through. I have tried it with my monitor (VGA with a DVI adapter) and my TV (HDMI) but nothing coming through either.
I've swapped my old graphics card back in so I know all is fine with my re-wiring and the new PSU.
Any ideas?

A quick google shows some muttering about certain motherboards being incompatible. I bloody well hope not. I just wanted a graphics card update, not a new computer.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

When I faced this problem, I took it to where I bought the video card, and they fixed it for free. 

Norgy

Tyr, do you have a processor capable of video?
Tried setting primary display in BIOS?
And checked the card whether it's properly connected. (That happened to me  :Embarrass: )

Josquius

I don't think the place I got it would help much.

Quote from: Norgy on February 08, 2015, 11:13:33 AM
And checked the card whether it's properly connected. (That happened to me  :Embarrass: )

No idea on processor capable of video, but my motherboard doesn't have on board graphics.
I'm pretty sure it is properly connected, it clicked into place and it is lit up with the fans going.

Would uninstalling all my graphics card drivers work? :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on February 07, 2015, 05:46:57 PM
Hey, viper, are Antec PSUs good? I've only used Corsair.
As good as Corsair, imho.  I've had one for years, still good. :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2015, 11:19:07 AM
I don't think the place I got it would help much.

Quote from: Norgy on February 08, 2015, 11:13:33 AM

No idea on processor capable of video, but my motherboard doesn't have on board graphics.
I'm pretty sure it is properly connected, it clicked into place and it is lit up with the fans going.

Would uninstalling all my graphics card drivers work? :unsure:

Do you see the BIOS with the new card?