News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Upgrading video card

Started by Pedrito, October 23, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

My current vid card is a Nvidia GTX460, IIRC: I'll be more precise when I'll be back home; I'd like to upgrade it, not because it's an actual bottleneck (I don't play many GPU-intensive games, except Elite: Dangerous), but because it's more than three years old and I think that spending around € 150-200 would give me a serious boost in performance/graphical effects

The setup would be: single monitor, 1920*1080, don't care for SLI-CrossFire; budget, as said, at most € 200: would a GTX 660/760 do the work? Or should I aim at something different?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

Eh, I have the same card.

Most people are are recommending to get a 970 or go the AMD route & get a R9 285x.(viper)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

At 200$, it would be the R9 280x.
Either the 280x or 285x would be good on the AMD front.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Pedrito

I'd prefer to stay in the Nvidia camp: what's a card with performance comparable to the R9 280x? the GTX 760?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on October 24, 2014, 09:37:50 AM
I'd prefer to stay in the Nvidia camp: what's a card with performance comparable to the R9 280x? the GTX 760?

L.
Yeah, GTX 760 is similar, albeit a tad slower than the 280x.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

L.

The new 970

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 24, 2014, 11:28:31 AM

L.

The new 970
At 450$?  :banned:

Grey Fox

Yes. That's the conundrum(sp?) you either go for an AMD at lower price or you shell out for the 970 instead of going for the obsolete Nvidia cards & too big prices.

Pedrito

Is the Gtx 760 really obsolete, for My needs (see OP)?
I want a jump in performance, but at not too high a price: if the 760 gives me the expected boost, I'll buy it; otherwise, I can serenely wait for the further fall of prices of more performing cards.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Monoriu

I actually have a similar question.  I currently use nvidia 570, and I am wondering if I should upgrade, and if so, which card I should buy.  I prefer a quiet card if possible.  Is the 570 obsolete? 

DGuller

Is there a reference with all the video card technologies?  I'm getting lost with all those combinations of numbers and letters.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on October 25, 2014, 10:57:58 AM
Is there a reference with all the video card technologies?  I'm getting lost with all those combinations of numbers and letters.
With Nvidia:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware
From upper left to down right, in order of performance.

For AMD:
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop
R9, R7, R5, HD 7000.

Where it gets confusing is that R9 and R7 are rebranded HD 7000, various models.  They are mostly the same cards, with slight differences.
But the newer ones, they're all R9 and R7.
For gaming, I wouldn't got below R9 280.

@Mono:
If you're looking at a non gaming silent car, then there are variations of the 7000 series without any fans.  Just search for "fanless video card".

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2014, 12:10:06 AM

@Mono:
If you're looking at a non gaming silent car, then there are variations of the 7000 series without any fans.  Just search for "fanless video card".

I was not clear.  I do need to play games  ;)

Grey Fox

If you have anything under a 660, get a new video card.

@Pedrito, You would but for the same price you can get a R9 280.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 27, 2014, 06:54:17 AM
If you have anything under a 660, get a new video card.

Any video card recommendations?  I am not prepared to pay more than US$800.