News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ooma

Started by derspiess, October 21, 2014, 05:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Anyone here use Ooma for their home phone?  I suppose I should have asked for opinions before I bought the device :D

Anywho, I've been on Vonage for ages and the bill always seems to creep up each month.  Their service is good and our plan includes international calling to most countries, but it irks me that my $27.99 monthly plan turns into close to $39 after all the BS fees & whatnot.

We're trying to cut down on monthly expenses and this seems like a way to do it.  I paid $99 shipped for the device and I guess I'll have to pony up a fee to port my phone number, but it should pay for itself in a few months.  All we have to pay is about $3 and change per month for FCC fees and calls to Argentina at only $.02 per minute.

I was sketchy on call quality given a peer to peer setup, but a buddy of mine says it's at least as good as standard POTS.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

I barely understood that, then again I don't get cell phones and can't work voicemail (never tried).   :blush:

Over here we're stuck with paying a fixed line rental fee if you wish to have a landline, I think it's 15-16 quid and is the same across all providers, or at least no one discounts below that.
Plus on top of that you can choose various unlimited options/bundles, as you do.

I guess one way around it is to use a cellphone GSM/3G/4G modem and then sign up to one of the services I think you're now using.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2014, 05:37:35 PM
I barely understood that, then again I don't get cell phones and can't work voicemail (never tried).   :blush:

:rolleyes:

I think I said it somewhere else here but since when is posting about one's ignorance a virtue (not I'm not fooled by that well placed blushing face).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 05:40:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2014, 05:37:35 PM

:rolleyes:

I think I said it somewhere else here but since when is posting about one's ignorance a virtue (not I'm not fooled by that well placed blushing face).

I agree, you've turned it into an art form.   :cool:

garbon

I hardly think posting that same statement over and over again is art. I'm not intending it as such! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 06:21:12 PM
I hardly think posting that same statement over and over again is art. I'm not intending it as such! :angry:

:D

garbon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2014, 05:05:10 PM
Anywho, I've been on Vonage for ages and the bill always seems to creep up each month.

Did they ever straighten out the issue of getting routed to the proper e911 call center if you ever needed 911?

Not that it was that big of an issue--if you get the wrong 911, just ask them to put you through to the correct one--but since so much local funding for them relies on phone bill, curious how that worked out with them.

derspiess

I think so.  Probably. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 03:39:30 PM
I think so.  Probably.

Nothing like waiting until having to dial 911 to find that out  :lol:

"Whaddya mean, Cuyahoga County 911?"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2014, 12:45:41 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 03:39:30 PM
I think so.  Probably.

Nothing like waiting until having to dial 911 to find that out  :lol:

"Whaddya mean, Cuyahoga County 911?"

I think it's like any other VOIP-- you fill out an online form with your info and I'm guessing your address magically appears where it is needed.  But 911 is a joke.

Anywho, I received and hooked up the Ooma device yesterday.  Now I gotta wait for my old number to port over, then buhbye Vonage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2014, 02:14:59 PM
But 911 is a joke.

Never took you for a Public Enemy fan.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 29, 2014, 02:35:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2014, 02:14:59 PM
But 911 is a joke.

Never took you for a Public Enemy fan.

I dabbled, particularly when they let Flav loose.  I was more into De La Soul, Ice-T, Kid n Play, EPMD, and Eric B & Rakim at the time, though.  Sometimes BDP to be ironic.

Berkut

Spicey, let me know how it works out - I am also looking to cut back drastically, of possible, on monthly data/connection charges.

I realized that it is pretty crazy at this point:

1. Cell bill for three of us (soon to be 4): $250
2. Internet: $65
3. DirectTV: $162
4. Landline phone: $40
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned