News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fighting Freedom with Ebola

Started by derspiess, October 21, 2014, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Is the Ebola issue a convenient means for statists to restrict freedoms?  Discuss.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Don't put ketchup on your ice cream while driving your car in the ocean.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2014, 10:58:39 AM
Is the Ebola issue a convenient means for statists to restrict freedoms?  Discuss.

The Ebola issue is an illustration of where libertarianism falls completely flat.

Ebola was stopped dead in its tracks in Nigeria due to statist controls and restrictions preventing carriers from responding to economic incentives (his employer wanted him to be released from quarantine to attend a conference, he denied having been in contact with ebola in spite of his sister having died from it a few weeks earlier). Without statist controls and enforced quarantine, we'd be looking at an out-of-control outbreak in Nigeria and thousands of dead with more to come. Instead, thank to statist restrictions of freedoms, there is no ebola in Nigeria.

So it's not so much "convenient" as "basic reality".

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2014, 11:16:19 AM

The Ebola issue is an illustration of where libertarianism falls completely flat.

Ebola was stopped dead in its tracks in Nigeria due to statist controls and restrictions preventing carriers from responding to economic incentives (his employer wanted him to be released from quarantine to attend a conference, he denied having been in contact with ebola in spite of his sister having died from it a few weeks earlier). Without statist controls and enforced quarantine, we'd be looking at an out-of-control outbreak in Nigeria and thousands of dead with more to come. Instead, thank to statist restrictions of freedoms, there is no ebola in Nigeria.

Other people in that conference should've had the right to decide for themselves whether they wanted to be exposed to someone sick with Ebola.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 21, 2014, 11:17:51 AM

Other people in that conference should've had the right to decide for themselves whether they wanted to be exposed to someone sick with Ebola.

Or the convention center owner should have had the right to shoot people with the illness.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2014, 11:21:08 AM
Or the convention center owner should have had the right to shoot people with the illness.

But the thing is, they didn't know he had ebola so they couldn't have.

alfred russel

And if I want to have other people exposed to ebola, shouldn't I have that right?

Can anyone show me in the Constitution where the government has been given the power to take my rights away?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Don't worry, your crowd will get their chance to freedom the shit out of everything once the anti-vaccine crowd really gets things ramped up.  Looking forward to multistate epidemics of measels and pertussis in the name of libertyness.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2014, 11:21:45 AM

But the thing is, they didn't know he had ebola so they couldn't have.

He reserves the right when enter his property.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

/NRA/ fyp /NRA/

Grey Fox

Freedom cannot be fought, as you cannot fight the wind, nor can you fight the sun.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2014, 12:11:59 PM
Freedom cannot be fought, as you cannot fight the wind, nor can you fight the sun.

But you can fight the man!

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2014, 12:31:52 PM

But you can fight the man!

But can you man the fight?  :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

The hell I can't!  Anything can be fought and defeated with a sufficiently large object moving at relativistic speeds.

Jacob