How Putin has used the Ukraine crisis to consolidate his dictatorship

Started by jimmy olsen, October 20, 2014, 09:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2014, 01:21:46 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2014, 11:59:22 PM
Still, there's pressure on the economy. Russian debt has just been downgraded to Baa2 by Moody's (apparently that's the second lowest grade): http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29685551

Second lowest investment grade.

Noted. Thanks :)

Jacob

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2014, 06:38:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 21, 2014, 12:40:04 AM
I think it's the return of the cold war from the Western perspective, whether Putin likes it or not, though.

Your perspective is not a western one, Zlotny.  Here in the West, we have more important things to do, like bomb idiots on monkey bars in the desert, and arm our future enemies.

What does "zlotny" mean?  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2014, 09:31:45 AM
...arm our future enemies.

Do you mean the Kurds, or are you referring to someone else?

Whoever's going to be shooting at us next, i.e, today's "moderates".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 21, 2014, 09:33:47 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 21, 2014, 12:40:04 AM
I think it's the return of the cold war from the Western perspective, whether Putin likes it or not, though.

Your perspective is not a western one, Zlotny.  Here in the West, we have more important things to do, like bomb idiots on monkey bars in the desert, and arm our future enemies.

What does "zlotny" mean?  :huh:

Fuck if I know, it just sounded Polackistani.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2014, 01:21:46 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2014, 11:59:22 PM
Still, there's pressure on the economy. Russian debt has just been downgraded to Baa2 by Moody's (apparently that's the second lowest grade): http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29685551

Second lowest investment grade.

It's not that bad, yeah, although the outlook is negative so it could fall down to junk.

By comparison, Poland's rating is A2 (stable) (which puts it ahead of all the PIGS and Ireland and only behind the UK, France, Benelux, Germany, Austria and the Scandies in the EU), Hungary's is Ba1 (negative) and Portugal is Ba2 (negative) which I think is junk or just above junk.

Martinus

Speaking of Sikorski, apparently he just bullied some journalists at a press conference and may be forced to resign from the speaker job too. :D

celedhring

How reliable is that Sikorski fellow, Marti? I'm reading that he's sort of backtracking from these claims saying that it was an unapproved interview, etc...

I just find it a bit strange that Russia would make this kind of overt proposal to Poland, of all nations.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2014, 09:53:56 AM
How reliable is that Sikorski fellow, Marti? I'm reading that he's sort of backtracking from these claims saying that it was an unapproved interview, etc...

I just find it a bit strange that Russia would make this kind of overt proposal to Poland, of all nations.

He is a bit of a lose cannon and difficult to pinpoint. On one hand, he is quite competent, and has a sort of international experience/contacts, having studied at Oxbridge, having an international journalist career, being married to Anne Applebaum of WSJ etc. On the other hand, he does seem like a bit of a baffoon and too full of himself. He is also bitter for having been fired from the minister post. So I imagine he could say too much or something that is not confirmed.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2014, 11:22:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 20, 2014, 10:28:29 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 20, 2014, 09:26:19 PM
That's some incendiary hidden accusation in the very last paragraph.  I hope he has a Geiger counter on him at all times.  I wonder what the general consensus is on the apartment building bombings these days, now that everyone has seen how readily Kremlin deploys false flag attacks.

I always thought it was a conspiracy theory, but Russia has a long history of being governed by conspiracies so who knows?
I think the possibly aborted fourth bombing is what gives this theory some credibility.  Someone calls the cops on the suspicious people, and the cops find bags of stuff with a detonator in the basement, and that stuff tests positive as an explosive.  Miraculously, the Russian cops prove to be competent in that case and apprehend the suspects shortly after, who turn out to be FSB agents planting sacks of sugar as a training exercise.  Sure, sounds plausible. :hmm:

I hadn't given a lot of thought about it.  I read the Wiki page and admit it is rather suspicious.  Especially when a member of the Duma announced one the bombings three days prior to it occurring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on October 21, 2014, 10:00:28 AM

He is a bit of a lose cannon and difficult to pinpoint. On one hand, he is quite competent, and has a sort of international experience/contacts, having studied at Oxbridge, having an international journalist career, being married to Anne Applebaum of WSJ etc. On the other hand, he does seem like a bit of a baffoon and too full of himself. He is also bitter for having been fired from the minister post. So I imagine he could say too much or something that is not confirmed.

Thanks. I suppose Tusk hasn't commented on the issue?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2014, 09:45:21 AM
Fuck if I know, it just sounded Polackistani.

You needed more consonants.  I didn't see a "cz" or "rzwy" in there anywhere.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

He's had hovering accusations for quite some time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Small "ambassador brand" anecdote here, I knew a guy who went with him (and Boris Johnson as well) to Oxford and he said that Sikorski was the most profoundly dumb guy he had met.

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on October 21, 2014, 11:14:59 AM
Small "ambassador brand" anecdote here, I knew a guy who went with him (and Boris Johnson as well) to Oxford and he said that Sikorski was the most profoundly dumb guy he had met.

Then why did they name a helicopter after him!?!?!?