Treason charge idea considered for UK jihadists

Started by jimmy olsen, October 19, 2014, 06:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I favour rule by 'government decree'/'Royal prerogative', at the start of a international conflict, foreign civil war, the government announced whether it's legal for nationals to go and fight in that conflict be it as mercenaries or volunteers.   

I'd suggest the criteria the government uses to decided should be, does that side in conflict promote values similar to ours or are they against much that characterises our civilisation/state ?  Secondary consideration should be given to broader national security issues.

So in the case of a conflict like the Spanish civil war, going to fight for the republican cause would be allowed, as it's also fighting against fascism. Whereas in Syria, whilst the regime isn't like us, much of the rebels forces are decidedly fascist in character, so travel to fight there would be banned, as would going to fight For the Assad government.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grallon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 19, 2014, 01:57:25 PM
round them up, put them in plane, tell them it's going to syria, land in Damascus, inform Assad.

^_^

Perhaps we should go all-out medieval on them and remind them of the West's age-old tradition when it comes to dealing with heretics and pagans; it just might deter them from immigrating.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2014, 08:30:35 PM
So in the case of a conflict like the Spanish civil war, going to fight for the republican cause would be allowed, as it's also fighting against fascism.

I dunno, I seem to remember reading how you guys gave George Orwell all sorts of shit about it. 

Admiral Yi

So in the case of a conflict like the Spanish civil war, going to fight for the republican cause would be allowed, as it's also fighting against fascism.

Yeah, nothing says British values quite as much as exterminating priests and nuns, executing prisoners of war, subverting democracy, and running a secret police state.  :)

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2014, 09:09:56 PM

Yeah, nothing says British values quite as much as exterminating priests and nuns, executing prisoners of war, subverting democracy, and running a secret police state.  :)

And that was just Franco!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Eggs and omelettes, now there's a good chap.

Valmy

Well I know it was not perfect but I fail to see any evidence of any of that occuring during the 1931-1936 Spanish Republic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2014, 09:04:37 PM

I dunno, I seem to remember reading how you guys gave George Orwell all sorts of shit about it.

Which was clearly 'wrong'.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2014, 06:04:14 AM
While they're scum of the worst sort, unless they have attacked the British military or government, not sure how they'd be guilty of treason.

By adhering to the enemies of the Realm.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Drakken

Meanwhile, in Canada lone wolves are starting to strike. It has been confirmed by RCMP that the guy was doing jihadist propaganda over Facebook and other social medias.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/driver-shot-by-police-after-hitting-2-soldiers-in-saint-jean-sur-richelieu-has-died-1.2806104

QuoteDriver shot by police after hitting 2 soldiers in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu has died

Incident raised in House of Commons as MP asks about 'possible terror attack'

A driver who was shot by police after striking two Canadian Forces members in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., earlier today has died.​

Quebec provincial police said the 25-year-old man was a resident of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu and was known to police, but would not elaborate how.

Police confirmed the suspect's death Monday evening, several hours after he was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

The incident began at around 11:30 a.m. ET when the two soldiers were hit in a parking lot of a commercial plaza. Both were injured, one critically.

The incident was raised in the House of Commons this afternoon by Conservative MP Randy Hoback, who questioned Prime Minister Stephen Harper about "unconfirmed reports of a possible terror attack" targeting members of the Canadian Forces.

Harper, reading from a piece of paper, would only say he was "aware of these reports" and that they are troubling.

The government did not specify the source of the reports mentioned by Hoback.

Police have not named the soldiers but confirmed at an afternoon news conference that they were members of the Forces.

When asked about the reports mentioned in Parliament, Lt. Guy Lapointe of the Sûreté du Québec said police are looking into whether the victims were targeted.
Police shooting Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu

The chase ended when the suspect lost control of his vehicle and it flipped into a ditch. (Alain Beland/Radio Canada)

"All I can say is that the theory that this is a deliberate act is part of what we'll be looking at," he said. "But it's really too early to speculate at this point."
Shot by police after pursuit

Lapointe said officers from the Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu police spotted the suspect not long after the soldiers were hit and followed the driver for four kilometres.

The chase ended when the suspect lost control of his car, flipping it into a ditch.

Police said the man got out of the vehicle and several shots were fired by officers.

Nathalie Vanasse was driving by with her husband when she saw the vehicle in the ditch.

"I was scared. I started crying. I wanted to get out of my car to go help, before the shots were fired ... I heard and saw shots being fired — seven shots," she said.

"I saw a police officer jump to the side to protect himself. That's when I saw the suspect fall to the ground."

Jacob

Lone wolves have started to strike? Why the plural?

viper37

One of the soldier died.

We know a little more. 

Soldiers from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu regularly go to a Canada Service Center.  He waited until some soldiers showed up, then hit them with his car.  It was an ambush, really.

And he was on terror watch, sort of.  Authorities had already removed his passport to avoid him joining with EI in Syria.
CBC Link
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah I'm sure countries like the UK or Norway criminalizing being a mercenary has people scared. Why, if they get caught they'll be sent to bed without cookies and have to serve 2 weeks in prison.

Grallon

Islam is the Ebola of civilizations.  So since you people are squeamish about eradicating the evil at its source then the least that can be done is the following train of measures - designed to contain the threat:

I move than all ostentatious Muslim religious signs be banned from anywhere in the public sphere - that any Islamic related website be interdicted - that all mosques be shut down - that all communications with predominantly Muslim countries be restricted - that all port/airport connections towards predominantly Muslim countries be quarantined and that all immigration from predominantly Muslim countries be forbidden.

If we will not kill them outright then at least we can suffocate them within our midst.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Ebola, really? Wouldn't it make "sense" to pick a less flashy disease that has racked up a greater kill count?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.