News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who does what right

Started by Josquius, October 17, 2014, 01:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Currently I am navigating the turbulent waters of the Swiss health care system. In Switzerland everything is done by private insurance and costs quite a lot of money. Going through this has really made me realise how lucky Brits are to have the NHS.
But of course Britain sucks in a lot of other ways. Our education system is nothing but exam training and our railways are terribly ran.
So this got me thinking.
In your view, which countries do which things right?
For some examples that came to me-

Health care- UK
Railways- Japan
Education- Netherlands/Germany
Labour relations- Sweden
Drug laws- Netherlands/Switzerland
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I definitely wouldn't pick UK for healthcare after hearing "Yeah my doctor thinks X would be the best drug for me for <insert lifelong medical condition> but we need to wait for someone else to go off of it first." And that largely meant that someone needed to die as patient was only likely to discontinue treatment if they got so bad that the expensive medication couldn't help, was dead or moved away from that GP.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 17, 2014, 01:32:30 PM
Our education system is nothing but exam training and our railways are terribly ran.

^_^

Article in The Economist on English education reform (mostly stand-alone 'academies') claims German education is not that great.

US does pop culture very, very well.

celedhring

Liep

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 01:53:11 PM
Beer - Belgium

I'm not sure this applies after the emergence of micro breweries. It seems to me everybody does beer right these days, much to my delight.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2014, 01:58:11 PM
Beer - Belgium

I'm not sure this applies after the emergence of micro breweries. It seems to me everybody does beer right these days, much to my delight.

Spanish micro breweries, for the most part, are puke worthy piss for hipsters. But we lack the tradition, I'll guess we'll get there eventually. We are a wine country anyway; that's something else that we do right.

Girls - Czech Republic
Philosophy - Germany/Austria
Opera - Italy

Valmy

France - Revolutions.
Also: cheese
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2014, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: Liep on October 17, 2014, 01:58:11 PM
Beer - Belgium

Spanish micro breweries, for the most part, are puke worthy piss for hipsters. But we lack the tradition, I'll guess we'll get there eventually. We are a wine country anyway; that's something else that we do right.

Girls - Czech Republic
Philosophy - Germany/Austria
Opera - Italy

I would like to subscribe to your news letter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Has any nation got nationalism 'right' ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Nations are not people and therefore can't do anything.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2014, 02:06:49 PM
Has any nation got nationalism 'right' ?

The (probably few) ones that ditched it?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.