Which social network has the highest twat ratio?

Started by Brazen, October 15, 2014, 09:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on October 15, 2014, 03:28:08 PM
I think the discussion on both qualifies them as social networks.

I think to be a social network you need to have connections between individuals. So Facebook would qualify through the "friend" link, Twitter through the "following" link, etc. Languish would not. I don't know enough about the structure of Reddit or 4chan to say whether they would or not.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on October 17, 2014, 11:52:26 AM

I think to be a social network you need to have connections between individuals. So Facebook would qualify through the "friend" link, Twitter through the "following" link, etc. Languish would not. I don't know enough about the structure of Reddit or 4chan to say whether they would or not.

Yeah that's why I said Languish is can example of social media but not a network as it doesn't really have networking, but we are still a social, virtual community.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 12:09:15 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 17, 2014, 11:52:26 AM

Yeah that's why I said Languish is can example of social media but not a network as it doesn't really have networking, but we are still a social, virtual community.
:hmm:

Jacob

What are the features of a network, in your opinion?

I mean, personally, I've gotten useful networking results out of languish that are comparable with some of the benefits I've gotten out of FB, linked in, etc. It's been on a smaller scale than those larger networks, for sure, but then again languish is a smaller space.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 12:15:21 PM

What are the features of a network, in your opinion?

I mean, personally, I've gotten useful networking results out of languish that are comparable with some of the benefits I've gotten out of FB, linked in, etc. It's been on a smaller scale than those larger networks, for sure, but then again languish is a smaller space.

I think there need to be connected nodes. If you think about linkedin or facebook, everyone is connected explicitly on a one-to-one basis. I can restrict what I share to only those that I've accepted as contacts. There's also explicit recognition of who is connected to whom.  While it doesn't exist anymore, facebook used to have a visual feature that would plot you out a network diagram.  You can't really say the same with something like Languish where for the most part (with exceptions here and there) we all freely interact with one another. No one really serves as a "gatekeeper" to communicating with anyone else.

Not that Languish can't be used for networking purposes but as it stands as a structure, it isn't a network anymore than a neighborhood is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

So I guess choosing connections in an explicit way is something that I think is part of a social network. Here we don't really have connections like that as it really is more of a full group dynamic.

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 12:15:21 PM
In that sense Languish could be considered a link or set of links in your broader social network. There's no network structure within languish though. It's more of a "social cloud".

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 12:19:45 PM
I think there need to be connected nodes. If you think about linkedin or facebook, everyone is connected explicitly on a one-to-one basis. I can restrict what I share to only those that I've accepted as contacts. There's also explicit recognition of who is connected to whom.  While it doesn't exist anymore, facebook used to have a visual feature that would plot you out a network diagram.  You can't really say the same with something like Languish where for the most part (with exceptions here and there) we all freely interact with one another. No one really serves as a "gatekeeper" to communicating with anyone else.

Not that Languish can't be used for networking purposes but as it stands as a structure, it isn't a network anymore than a neighborhood is.

Ah okay. Yeah, that's salient enough. You're looking for a structure that's networked. For me, when I think "social network" I was thinking more of the networking aspects.

That said, thinking of your approach, I still think there are some network features at languish in that everyone is connected somewhat differently to the other people here due to geography and interpersonal relations. Even if that doesn't make it a network, I think it's reasonable to think of languish as a node in a network at the very least.

To me, really, languish is pretty similar socially to membership in a club - whether it's some sort of anti-social country club, or a special interest group (like say, strategy game enthusiasts), or even just the regulars at a particular bar. I guess calling any of those a social network in and of itself may be a stretch, but they are definitely part of social networks in my eyes.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 12:33:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 12:19:45 PM

Ah okay. Yeah, that's salient enough. You're looking for a structure that's networked. For me, when I think "social network" I was thinking more of the networking aspects.

That said, thinking of your approach, I still think there are some network features at languish in that everyone is connected somewhat differently to the other people here due to geography and interpersonal relations. Even if that doesn't make it a network, I think it's reasonable to think of languish as a node in a network at the very least.

To me, really, languish is pretty similar socially to membership in a club - whether it's some sort of anti-social country club, or a special interest group (like say, strategy game enthusiasts), or even just the regulars at a particular bar. I guess calling any of those a social network in and of itself may be a stretch, but they are definitely part of social networks in my eyes.

Well on the opposite of what I've said (:D) - here's what wikipedia describes a virtual community as (and we are definitely a virtual community):

QuoteA virtual community is a social network of individuals who interact through specific social media, potentially crossing geographical and political boundaries in order to pursue mutual interests or goals. Some of the most pervasive virtual communities are online communities operating under social networking services.

Grey Fox

I think pinterest is the social network with the most women in the western world.

Weibo probably has absolute numbers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 17, 2014, 01:10:57 PM
I think pinterest is the social network with the most women in the western world.

Weibo probably has absolute numbers.

We are talking ratios not absolute numbers otherwise then yeah the answer will always be whatever is popular in China.  Or is Weibo particularly female dominated?  Do not know much about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 17, 2014, 01:10:57 PM
I think pinterest is the social network with the most women in the western world
:hmm: I'm not sure there. Facebook is pretty omnipresent. Lots of old ladies on there. A lot of people don't even know what Pinterest is, it's not at the same level
██████
██████
██████