Austrian primary school bans yoga for religious reasons

Started by Syt, October 09, 2014, 04:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2014, 08:26:17 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 09, 2014, 05:28:33 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2014, 04:48:52 AM
http://www.thelocal.at/20141008/austrian-primary-school-bans-yoga

How provincial. Instead of taking their kid out of class, let's ruin it for everyone! :rolleyes:

QuoteAustrian primary school bans yoga
District school inspector Helga Thomann said that in principle she thought children's yoga was a good idea but said that "anything from the Far East that touches on the esoteric has no place in schools".

She said that drawing and painting Tibetan mandalas had also led to protests from parents.

Historically yoga was an ancient spiritual practice with connections to Hinduism and Buddhism, but there are many different forms of yoga, some of which are more overtly religious than others.

Well the question is, was the religious claptrap being taught as part of the stretching exercises?

I don't really think that's the question.

Since the objection to Yoga is religious it is the question. That's what decides if the objection is valid or not.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Does anybody really know what sort of the religious claptrap applies to Yoga?  It is Hinduism which is about as intelligible and well known as ancient cuneiform to westerners.  Usually it is like 'breathe because Indians call it the life force' well alright then better not stop breathing.  As far as religious principles go I don't think that is one to damaging to secularism to pass on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2014, 05:53:39 AM
This being Austria, I bet they can find another way of teaching concentration to kids. Perhaps it would make sense to even organise a camp for that purpose.  :hmm:

:lol:  Good one, counselor

DontSayBanana

I, too, am saddened by missing out when Mart dropped that zinger.  If we still did POTM, that'd certainly be worth a nomination. :lol:
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Rootin' for the fag?  What's a-matter with you people?

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 09:35:05 PM
Does anybody really know what sort of the religious claptrap applies to Yoga?  It is Hinduism which is about as intelligible and well known as ancient cuneiform to westerners.  Usually it is like 'breathe because Indians call it the life force' well alright then better not stop breathing.  As far as religious principles go I don't think that is one to damaging to secularism to pass on.

Well, I guess there is a bit of talk about "releasing your energy" and "bowing to your inner teacher" and the like. Plus I know that fundamentalist Catholics really get their panties in the bunch about yoga. Priests in Poland say it leads to demonic possession - which is obviously bullshit - I practice yoga and I am fine.  :ph34r:

Edit: But seriously, the opposition (almost certainly) does not come from secularists but from the catholic church who is losing members rapidly in Europe and fears anything that infringes on their imagined turf, be it yoga or Harry Potter vibrating wands.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2014, 01:59:23 AM
Rootin' for the fag?  What's a-matter with you people?

Don't hate the player; hate the game.
Experience bij!

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 09:35:05 PM

Well this is the poster child for why both the religious and secular should make sure that public services should be secular.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.