Austrian primary school bans yoga for religious reasons

Started by Syt, October 09, 2014, 04:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.thelocal.at/20141008/austrian-primary-school-bans-yoga

How provincial. Instead of taking their kid out of class, let's ruin it for everyone! :rolleyes:

QuoteAustrian primary school bans yoga

A primary school in the town of Dechantskirchen in Styria has banned yoga from gym classes after a mother of one of the students protested against it for religious reasons.

"All I heard was that according to the Bible yoga should not be allowed and it would lead the children in the wrong direction," yoga teacher Ingrid Karner told the Kleine Zeitung.

She was disappointed as her monthly yoga classes had proved to be a success with both parents and children.

"We introduced children's yoga and concentration exercises into gym classes. I presented the project to the headmistress and the district school inspector in advance and they were both happy with it," Karner said.

"In Germany yoga has long been a part of the curriculum for children," she added.

Headmistress Maria Hofer confirmed that she and other parents had been happy with the inclusion of yoga exercises in gym classes but that since one mother had complained and said that "she did not want her child coming into contact with yoga for religious reasons" it has had to be stopped.

Many parents are outraged that their children can no longer do yoga. "What happened to tolerance and democracy?" Siegfried Kogler said. He added that his daughter's performance at school had improved after doing the yoga exercises.

District school inspector Helga Thomann said that in principle she thought children's yoga was a good idea but said that "anything from the Far East that touches on the esoteric has no place in schools".

She said that drawing and painting Tibetan mandalas had also led to protests from parents.

Historically yoga was an ancient spiritual practice with connections to Hinduism and Buddhism, but there are many different forms of yoga, some of which are more overtly religious than others.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

So Styria claims back the title of most retarded Austrian region to Carinthia?
Alles in Ordnung. :)

Viking

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2014, 04:48:52 AM

How provincial. Instead of taking their kid out of class, let's ruin it for everyone! :rolleyes:

District school inspector Helga Thomann said that in principle she thought children's yoga was a good idea but said that "anything from the Far East that touches on the esoteric has no place in schools".

She said that drawing and painting Tibetan mandalas had also led to protests from parents.

Historically yoga was an ancient spiritual practice with connections to Hinduism and Buddhism, but there are many different forms of yoga, some of which are more overtly religious than others.

Well the question is, was the religious claptrap being taught as part of the stretching exercises?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

This being Austria, I bet they can find another way of teaching concentration to kids. Perhaps it would make sense to even organise a camp for that purpose.  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2014, 05:53:39 AM
This being Austria, I bet they can find another way of teaching concentration to kids. Perhaps it would make sense to even organise a camp for that purpose.  :hmm:

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 09, 2014, 05:28:33 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2014, 04:48:52 AM

Well the question is, was the religious claptrap being taught as part of the stretching exercises?

I don't really think that's the question.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

In a vacuum, I think this is quite silly. 

However if (as Western society) we're going to throw a huge shit-fit every time some semblance of Christian religion appears in school grounds, then I'm kind of okay with this.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Another one of those 15 commandments that was lost to the mists of time - thou shalt not practice healthy exercise before me.

@ Marti,  :lol:

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2014, 08:41:27 AM
Another one of those 15 commandments that was lost to the mists of time - thou shalt not practice healthy exercise before me.

@ Marti,  :lol:

If Moses hadn't been such a klutz, we'd know those extra 5 really well.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 08:40:40 AM
However if (as Western society) we're going to throw a huge shit-fit every time some semblance of Christian religion appears in school grounds, then I'm kind of okay with this.
Isn't Austria one of those countries that still have crucifixes in every classroom? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2014, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 09, 2014, 08:40:40 AM
Isn't Austria one of those countries that still have crucifixes in every classroom? :P

And those are just the ones they use on the students.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

When I was a kid we used to turn the crucifixes in class upside down. Silly kids :D

Reading the article it seems clear to me that there was more than just stretching exercises at those yoga classes, which is out of place in a public school. It would have been easier to just drop the whole esoteric mumbo-jumbo than cancelling the classes altogether though, yoga is pretty great and certainly not out of place in a gym class.