Vatican: ‘Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer Christians’ Bishops say

Started by Martinus, October 13, 2014, 01:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteVatican: 'Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer Christians'
Bishops say although Catholicism does not support same-sex marriage, it must find ways of making gay people feel included

Is this the modern family according to Francis? From gay relationships to extramarital sex, from divorce and remarriage to civil unions, the Roman Catholic church has signalled it is ready to adopt what some see as a markedly more conciliatory tone towards those in "irregular" familial setups.

While clinging to doctrine that considers gay sex wrong and marriage indissoluble, bishops in Rome for the pope's extraordinary synod on the family endorsed a midway report which said the church should accompany its teachings "with mercy" and focus on the "positive aspects" of different life models.

The document, known as a relatio post disceptationem, received applause when it was read aloud in the synod hall after a week of discussions, due to continue this week. It does not contain any decisions but offers a significant idea of the gathering's direction of travel. Some Vatican observers said its change in tone on homosexuality and cohabitation was remarkable.

"The document published today by the synod of bishops represents an earthquake, the 'big one' that hit after months of smaller tremors," wrote John Thavis, author of The Vatican Diaries. "The document clearly reflects Pope Francis's desire to adopt a more merciful pastoral approach on marriage and family issues."

Referring to the increasing numbers of people choosing to live together before marriage, or to have civil weddings, the bishops spoke of the need to see "the constructive elements" in those options while not viewing them as an equal substitute for Christian marriage. "In such unions, it is possible to grasp authentic family values or at least the wish for them," they noted.

In a passage entitled "welcoming homosexual persons", the bishops said that although the church could not support gay marriage, it needed to explore ways of making gay people feel included. "Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community: are we capable of welcoming these people, guaranteeing to them a fraternal space in our communities?" the document says.

"Often they wish to encounter a church that offers them a welcoming home. Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?"

In its catechism, the Catholic church brands "homosexual acts ... intrinsically disordered" and the pope, while encouraging a more welcoming stance towards gay people, has said nothing that deviates from that.

The relatio, released on Monday, appeared to be an attempt to balance the two factors. "Without denying the moral problems connected to homosexual unions," the report says, "it has to be noted that there are cases in which mutual aid to the point of sacrifice constitutes a precious support in the life of the partners."

The Rev James Martin, a Jesuit author, said the words represented "a stunning change" in the way the church spoke of gay people. "The synod is clearly listening to the complex, real-life experiences of Catholics around the world, and seeking to address them with mercy, as Jesus did," he told the Associated Press.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/13/vatican-homosexuals-same-sex-marriage-christians-catholic-church

It's easy to comment on that cynically, but I welcome the change of the tone, if not of the message. The part I bolded is especially interesting - considering most long term gay relationships are sexless. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2014, 01:40:34 PM
considering most long term gay relationships are sexless. :P

Aren't all long term relationships, gay or straight?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2014, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2014, 01:40:34 PM
considering most long term gay relationships are sexless. :P

Aren't all long term relationships, gay or straight?

True. Anyone who is opposed to gay sex should support gay marriage. :P

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

derspiess

I'm guessing they're just trying to get favorable bids on Vatican interior redecorating.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 14, 2014, 12:25:07 PM
I'm guessing they're just trying to get favorable bids on Vatican interior redecorating.

Really?  Like they need more gold trim and naked statues?  Place looks like it was decorated by a drag queen in the first place.

DontSayBanana

I'm actually disappointed that most of the headlines have slanted it away from the biggest positive: I've been saying for years that government-sanctioned marriage was a mistake.  Of course, in hundreds of years, governments have been content to leave them tangled together- ironically, it's the church taking point on detangling "marriage" and a "partnership of mutual support."
Experience bij!

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 14, 2014, 01:27:15 PM
I'm actually disappointed that most of the headlines have slanted it away from the biggest positive: I've been saying for years that government-sanctioned marriage was a mistake.  Of course, in hundreds of years, governments have been content to leave them tangled together- ironically, it's the church taking point on detangling "marriage" and a "partnership of mutual support."

Why is government-sanctioned marriage a mistake? Seems to me it performs lots of useful functions - ease of transfer of benefits, for example. What's the drawback?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Or looking at the thread title again, maybe the Pope is putting it out there that he'd accept Christmas presents from the gays.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Has anyone considered the possibility that after 2000 years, gays have finally succeeded in infiltrating the catholic hierarchy?  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

One of the comments I saw:

Translation: you are still inferior but we would really like your money, please.