News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malala wins the Peace Prize

Started by Martinus, October 10, 2014, 04:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

The UN has lots of specialized agencies that are quite relevant in their particular fields. It is more than the ineffectual security council.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on October 10, 2014, 08:53:50 AM
Kid's got a bright future, I think.

I dunno,  even with the Nobel, Harvard's going to have a problem with a lack of extracurricular activities.

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on October 10, 2014, 10:20:44 AM
The UN has lots of specialized agencies that are quite relevant in their particular fields. It is more than the ineffectual security council.

Very true, but specialized agencies quietly doing things that are important don't make for a convenient scapegoat or target of mockery and so is not interesting to the general languish crowd.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 10, 2014, 11:14:29 AM

Very true, but specialized agencies quietly doing things that are important don't make for a convenient scapegoat or target of mockery and so is not interesting to the general languish crowd.

Yeah. I'm all for bashing the UN when it is ineffective or the Nobel Peace Prize committee for giving it to unworthy people, but this time Malala really deserves it and is an inspiration, and the UN is doing a lot of worthy things not to deserve to be dismissed en bloc.

I find this type of snarky dismissive bitchiness pretty shitty.

CountDeMoney

Too many Bangladeshi blue helmets hiding in the Appalachians ready to swoop down and take derspiess's guns once Obama gives the word.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on October 10, 2014, 05:47:58 AM
Now you can get it for social media presence?

This is a really shitty thing to say, viking.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on October 10, 2014, 12:43:44 PM

Welcome back to Languish.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

So which types of snarly dismissive bitchiness do you prefer?   :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2014, 12:59:29 PM

This is a relative preference, obviously, but one that does not talk shit about a young intelligent woman who got shot in the face for her convictions would rank higher on my personal list. :)

Jacob

I'm fond of the kind that's funny. I don't mind the kind that makes a worthwhile point or takes the piss out of someone who deserves it.

... that's all subjective, of course :)

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 10, 2014, 01:01:27 PM

I'm fond of the kind that's funny. I don't mind the kind that makes a worthwhile point or takes the piss out of someone who deserves it.

... that's all subjective, of course :)

I would agree with this view as well.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 10, 2014, 12:45:06 PM
Too many Bangladeshi blue helmets hiding in the Appalachians ready to swoop down and take derspiess's guns once Obama gives the word.

No shit :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Yeah. I'm all for bashing the UN when it is ineffective or the Nobel Peace Prize committee for giving it to unworthy people, but this time Malala really deserves it and is an inspiration, and the UN is doing a lot of worthy things not to deserve to be dismissed en bloc.

I think the Nobel Peace Prize committee already made sure that we shouldn't give a damn about who it gives its prizes too, no matter how worthy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

The security council isn't completely useless, it's the General Assembly and Human Rights councils that re FUBAR.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

I guess getting shot really worked out well for her. :blush: