Sarah Silverman is tired of the '[censored] tax'

Started by garbon, October 09, 2014, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/09/news/economy/sarah-silverman-wage-gap-video/index.html

QuoteSarah Silverman is tired of the 'vagina tax'

Women are being cheated out of trillions of dollars over the course of their careers, and comedian Sarah Silverman thinks it's time society paid up.

In a NSFW video for the Equal Payback Project released Wednesday, Silverman waves around a prosthetic penis and announces she's crowdfunding the amount owed to women due to the wage gap -- a staggering $29,811,746,430,000.

She got that number by multiplying the 69 million working American women by the nearly $500,000 typically lost over the course of a woman's career because of the wage gap. Silverman calls that half a million the "vagina tax."

"If we hit our goal, every woman in America will get a check for the amount they're owed," Silverman says in the video. If the goal isn't met, any funds will be donated to the National Women's Law Center, an organization that works to promote gender equality through legislation and education.

They're very good at what they do," she said. "You know, for a bunch of girls."

Women make nearly $11,000 less each year than men, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's latest report on income and poverty. That translates to women making 78 cents to every dollar made by men. For the last several years it has been 77 cents on the dollar, making this year's figures a tiny improvement.

But Silverman doesn't want to wait forever for the disparity to end. In the video, she says that due to the wage gap she's "becoming a dude."

"In the grand scheme of things it's way less expensive than the money I'll lose having a [vagina]," she proclaims.

She may be right, but in all fairness, an operation like that would actually put her into the category of a transgendered person, a group that experiences prejudices both in the workforce and in employment.

Surprisingly, the most common reply I'm seeing on net isn't "Oh, cool" or "God, Sarah Silverman isn't funny" but rather "How dare this cis-gendered heterosexual white female make such transphobic jokes?!"

And yes, I censored vagina in the thread title as that's apparently what we do these days. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

women on average work less then men and engage in less profitable carreers than men, wich explains most of the difference today.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

I hope here comedy skills are considerably better than her mathematical ones.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

If she were aiming to make trannies overreact, she did well. Otherwise it's like her other stuff and not particularly funny.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Perhaps the answer lies in the guaranteed minimum income or a negative income tax.

At any rate, it's the nature of this hypercompetitive world of ours.  Companies won't even train their workers, why would they want to subsidize childbirth?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on October 09, 2014, 05:31:51 PM
women on average work less then men and engage in less profitable carreers than men, wich explains most of the difference today.

Misogynist.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

If women were nice, they would get invited out to dates by gentlemen who would pick the bill, so the income disparity would even out. :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 10, 2014, 12:13:22 AM
If women were nice, they would get invited out to dates by gentlemen who would pick the bill, so the income disparity would even out. :contract:

I don't see why that setup has to be in place. I'm not particularly nice but have have gentleman take me out who will cover the bill.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.