News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gunther, Christine and Otto - An Epic Journey

Started by mongers, October 09, 2014, 07:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

If you like travelling off the beaten track, then this is well worth a read, an interesting photo essay:

Gunther, Christine and Otto

How a man met a woman and they set off on an epic journey across six continents in one amazing unbreakable car:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/2014/newsspec_8703/index.html

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Syt

My French-Canuck coworker says travelling like this would be her dream.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Sleeping in your van while waiting for days at customs checkpoints, that's the life.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2014, 01:04:56 PM
Sleeping in your van while waiting for days at customs checkpoints, that's the life.

Weird you should focus on one small part of the experience and blow it out of all proportion. 

It's like saying you and I post a lot on Languish, therefore our lives aren't ....

Ah, Ok.   :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Eh, he slept in his van every night. That's a rather major part of the experience.

It's neat to read about and see pictures and stuff, but I don't envy him one bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2014, 12:40:13 PM
My French-Canuck coworker says travelling like this would be her dream.
I would love to do that for a couple of months.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on October 09, 2014, 01:49:26 PM
I would love to do that for a couple of months.

Have you ever felt a longing to spend time at a dude ranch?

Barrister

I was kind of put off by how the woman, on the start of her journies, promptly put her son in a boarding school.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2014, 02:15:26 PM
I was kind of put off by how the woman, on the start of her journies, promptly put her son in a boarding school.

Yeah that bothered me too, other than that it was a good read.

It sounds like a great adventure, but I could never travel like that though.

Barrister

Mind you the fact he got to drive his car to North Korea was pretty bad ass.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

I would have read it if it had been a Toyota Land Cruiser.  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 09, 2014, 03:16:06 PM
I would have read it if it had been a Toyota Land Cruiser.  :P

There is someone out there whose done it in a Land-cruiser as a race, in that they did all* of the world's countries in around 4-5 years, I think they were sponsored by Toyota as well. 

But really not the same sort of motivation or range of experiences as this guy and his wife had.

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2014, 01:29:55 PM
Eh, he slept in his van every night. That's a rather major part of the experience.

It's neat to read about and see pictures and stuff, but I don't envy him one bit.

I get the romantic appeal of just driving through the African wild as they did in the beginning, or travelling through all those countries and just roughing it; but I think I prefer a proper bed and sanitary facilities myself these days. Never been a fan of camping.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.