News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sven Pot

Started by The Brain, October 07, 2014, 01:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

You expect me to read the article when it's about Sweden? Please. :mellow:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2014, 02:28:18 PM
I'm not saying private welfare providers shouldn't have any profits, then there'd be no private welfare providers. But if the profits are large it's sensible to look at what they provide and how they achieve this profit.

And I can understand why people want to be assured that the welfare receivers aren't shafted because some contractors want a larger profit.

"Large" is meaningless here.  Certainly one wants to make sure that contractors don't steal money intended for recipients in order to pad profits, just like you don't want government workers to embezzle money intended for the recipients.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
You expect me to read the article when it's about Sweden? Please. :mellow:

:mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 02:30:31 PM
It's not clear to me why questions of quality and price couldn't be handled through normal purchasing processes.

Quality isn't always provided just because it is agreed upon in a contract. There's plenty of examples of contractors not taking workplace safety seriously or whatever because they want to maximize profits.

And when it comes to the care of the elders people tend to want more assurance that they're not just targets for more profits. So limiting what a contractor can take out of his business from profits can limit the incentive to cut corners.

Or at least I think that's the plan. If it's the best or if it will work I don't know.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2014, 02:47:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 02:30:31 PM
It's not clear to me why questions of quality and price couldn't be handled through normal purchasing processes.

Quality isn't always provided just because it is agreed upon in a contract. There's plenty of examples of contractors not taking workplace safety seriously or whatever because they want to maximize profits.

And when it comes to the care of the elders people tend to want more assurance that they're not just targets for more profits. So limiting what a contractor can take out of his business from profits can limit the incentive to cut corners.

Or at least I think that's the plan. If it's the best or if it will work I don't know.

No serious organization just assumes that suppliers deliver what is in the contract. You always check that they do.

MadImmortalMan

In my experience, most of the stupid things contractors do are mandated in the contract.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 07, 2014, 02:52:05 PM
In my experience, most of the stupid things contractors do are mandated in the contract.  :P

This.  Ironically, half the shit that makes government contracts in the US so inefficient and wasteful is all the shit thrown into the contracts to keep them from being inefficient and wasteful.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 02:49:44 PM
No serious organization just assumes that suppliers deliver what is in the contract. You always check that they do.

Yes, and this is why we continually see examples of workplaces being fined for not living up to safety standards.

And no, I haven't heard of any examples of welfare receivers being neglected on a profit padding scale. But limiting incentive to have big surpluses might still make for better welfare, in Sweden's case perhaps stabilise the system to avoid more bankruptcies. Which was the point.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2014, 03:00:22 PM
Yes, and this is why we continually see examples of workplaces being fined for not living up to safety standards.

And no, I haven't heard of any examples of welfare receivers being neglected on a profit padding scale. But limiting incentive to have big surpluses might still make for better welfare, in Sweden's case perhaps stabilise the system to avoid more bankruptcies. Which was the point.

How will capping profits reduce bankruptcies?

derspiess

I'd imagine some Democrats would be salivating over the thought of a similar but even wider-reaching law here in the US.  Frequently we hear rhetoric to the effect that corporations make too much money.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Why should the government care about a few bankruptcies?  They can just go to different contractors right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2014, 03:00:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 02:49:44 PM

Basically, I don't see how welfare companies are fundamentally different from other companies. If I did I could conceivably see why they should be treated in a fundamentally different way than other companies.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on October 07, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
I'd imagine some Democrats would be salivating over the thought of a similar but even wider-reaching law here in the US.  Frequently we hear rhetoric to the effect that corporations make too much money.

When it stops being an actual thing and not something you are imaging we can discuss it :P

In any case the Democrats are plenty Wall Street friendly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 03:03:46 PM

Companies will be less greedy so will take fewer risks and not go bankrupt?  Not sure.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 03:03:46 PM

As I read it it has become the target of speculators who think they can make big profits, but instead fail and then leaving the sector perhaps without anyone to immediately take over.