The Middle East Crisis, Time For Boots on the Ground ?

Started by mongers, October 03, 2014, 05:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Western countries deploy combat units to 'defeat' ISIL in conventional warfare?

Yes, I'm an American
1 (2.4%)
No, I'm an American
17 (40.5%)
Yes, I'm a Westerner/European
4 (9.5%)
No, I'm a Westerner/European
18 (42.9%)
Yes, I live in the Rest of the World
0 (0%)
No, I live in the Rest of the World
2 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 01:27:19 PM
As far as money goes, aside from selling oil at rock-bottom prices, they have very wealthy patrons in our friends in the Gulf:  Qatar, the UAE and to a lesser extent, SA. 

So, when people bitch about the Europeans paying ransoms for hostages as funding ISIS, maybe they should think first about what exactly our government is doing to play its part of the sucker with our bestest buddies in the Gulf.  With friends like these, who needs friends.

The ISIL sponsors in Qatar, the UAE, and SA are enemies of the west, not their "bestest buddies," let alone friends.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Best buddies may be a bit strong, but we were friends way back.  Used to play basketball, I liked playing them cause none of those guys are over 5'5.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Interesting that only one American (7% of them) favours this type of campaign, but a whole 20% of other westerners/Europeans favour it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

That might be interesting if the sample was a decent size.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on October 04, 2014, 02:37:15 PM
Interesting that only one American (7% of them) favours this type of campaign, but a whole 20% of other westerners/Europeans favour it.

of course, the Euros would expect America to do it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2014, 02:39:17 PM

We're not very numerous are we.  :(

Maybe someone could take it to Paradox OTR forum, oh that's right they don't allow these sorts of discussion.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 04, 2014, 02:39:51 PM

of course, the Euros would expect America to do it.

Former imperial holdings, it's bombs away.  But in support of other Europeans they don't consider "real" Europeans, like the Balkans? Genocide away, baby.  Getting focused on hardcore sanctions to support less-than-European pipples like Georgians or Ukrainians?  zomg teh natural gas an stuff

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on October 04, 2014, 02:43:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2014, 02:39:17 PM

We're not very numerous are we.  :(

Maybe someone could take it to Paradox OTR forum, oh that's right they don't allow these sorts of discussion.  <_<

You might be surprised. They have an Israel v Palestine megathread now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PJL

Airstrikes and supporting Assad & the Kurds and a non-divisive Iraqi government to the hilt is the least worst option. Unless the situation gets to the point where it spooks the financial markets, in which case further action may be needed. Yes, it will be blood for oil in a way, but it's better than blood for religion / ideology etc..

Tonitrus

Quote from: PJL on October 04, 2014, 03:51:58 PM
Airstrikes and supporting Assad & the Kurds and a non-divisive Iraqi government to the hilt is the least worst option. Unless the situation gets to the point where it spooks the financial markets, in which case further action may be needed. Yes, it will be blood for oil in a way, but it's better than blood for religion / ideology etc..

That's the problem with our foreign policy standards.  We cannot support dictators like Assad against the religious extremists.  We have to support the pro-democracy elements who, when/if we were able to put them in power, would be immediately voted out of office in the free elections and replaced by the religious extremists.   :P

Razgovory

Probably cause it'll be American boots on the ground.  I'm not keen on a big military intervention with tanks and stuff, but special forces raids and the like are okay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2014, 04:13:21 AM
The religion is the root cause of this. Shit like this isn't happening in non-Islamic shit holes. The moderates are part of the problem since they accept the same twisted basic tenants of the religion they just choose to ignore some of the specifics. Genocide will work, but that seems to be taking "the ends justify the means" a few steps too far.

This is true, except for the all the other places where it happens.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2014, 07:56:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2014, 07:24:59 PM
Voted no.

Assuming ground troops accomplish anything - what is the plan after that?

I outlined it in my post.

Your plan assumes that there will be something else on the ground to take their place.  Unfortunately that assumption has proved incorrect in the past.

Tonitrus