Have a heart-to-heart with your past self
10 (25.6%)
Some kind of money-making scheme
12 (30.8%)
Just be an "observer", like a wimp
2 (5.1%)
Avoid using time travel, like an even bigger wimp
1 (2.6%)
Screw the past, I'm going to the future!
6 (15.4%)
Convince Jaron's mom to have an abortion
1 (2.6%)
Something completely different
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Grallon

Oh.. the question at hand!

Prevent Caesar from being murdered of course!   He'd' have quickly rolled up Parthia - created the empire sooner - established the basis of a hereditary monarchy and made Rome all the more secure.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grey Fox

Buy a Buick.

What? I want to travel back to California circa 1955.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Future.  Given the changes between 1950 and 2000, let alone 1900 and 2000, it'd be interesting to head a hundred years off and see how much is still recognizable.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2014, 03:26:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2014, 03:22:19 PM
I'd tell my younger self circa 1991 or so to go buy as much Bre-X stock as I could get my hands on.  And be sure to sell it off in 1996.

What's Bre-X?
Canadian mining company that exploded based on some gold they allegedly found.  It turns out that they fraudulently salted their samples with gold to attract investors.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grallon on October 03, 2014, 08:36:54 PM
Prevent Caesar from being murdered of course!   He'd' have quickly rolled up Parthia - created the empire sooner - established the basis of a hereditary monarchy and made Rome all the more secure.

I suppose since you've got a time machine it wouldn't matter to you that the West would advance as slowly as China did historically and life in 2014 would still be nasty, brutish and short.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 03, 2014, 09:37:31 PM
Future.  Given the changes between 1950 and 2000, let alone 1900 and 2000, it'd be interesting to head a hundred years off and see how much is still recognizable.

You know that you can't actually go back to the future?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2014, 10:31:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2014, 03:26:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2014, 03:22:19 PM
I'd tell my younger self circa 1991 or so to go buy as much Bre-X stock as I could get my hands on.  And be sure to sell it off in 1996.

What's Bre-X?
Canadian mining company that exploded based on some gold they allegedly found.  It turns out that they fraudulently salted their samples with gold to attract investors.

So Beeb is suggesting he wishes more than anything to commit trans-temporal white-collar crime?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

You're an insider of the present, with insider knowledge of their ongoing fraud during the hypothetical money-making period.  Perhaps it ought to be more expected for someone such as yourself to say "I wish I could go back in time and blow the whistle on Bre-X," even while indulging in the "tell 1992 me to buy e.g. Microsoft stock" fantasy.

Admiral Yi

I think the moral issue Mihalia is getting at is that when you unload your Bre-X shares you would be knowingly selling something worthless.

But the flip side of that argument is, if you did the Apple or Microsoft play instead, you would be paying someone a fraction of what you know the true value of their shares to be.

So shouldn't both plays be considered immoral, or neither?

Admiral Yi

Philosophize THAT philosopher boy. :yeah:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 04, 2014, 01:04:08 PM
You're an insider of the present, with insider knowledge of their ongoing fraud during the hypothetical money-making period.  Perhaps it ought to be more expected for someone such as yourself to say "I wish I could go back in time and blow the whistle on Bre-X," even while indulging in the "tell 1992 me to buy e.g. Microsoft stock" fantasy.

Betting the spread on every NFL championship and Super Bowl from 1960 would be a lot easier and guilt-free.  Hell, betting it all on Namath would put a hell of a dent in organized crime.  And you'd let Yi sleep better at night doing it that way than fucking over Faceless Megacorporation, Inc.

Admiral Yi

Selling a worthless stock is not fucking over Faceless Megacorp.

I really wish you were a bit less retarded some times.