Uber drivers are workers, UK supreme court rules

Started by garbon, October 02, 2014, 07:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: HVC on September 29, 2017, 03:35:56 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2017, 03:06:53 PM
If Uber drivers can negotiate themselves a better deal by acting collectively, good for them.

But the argument that people working in a free society at a voluntary job entered into of their own free will are "exploited"?

Bullshit.

I don't know enough about uber to comment on them, but there are  jobs entered under voluntary status that are exploitive, such as migrant fruit pickers or sweatshop workers (i'm thinking ones in the western world in this scenario)

Im not saying it isn't possible, I am just saying it is damn unlikely.

Migrant farm workers are very much a "exception that proves the rule" example. Someone who has to have such an ab-normal status in an otherwise free society to allow such exploitation.

And of course there are other examples of people who are vulnerable to exploitation, but they are almost all (probably actuall all) cases where their practical freedom has been radically altered by some other external circumstance. Trafficking, drugs, mental illness, youth, etc., etc.

None of those things apply to a bunch of people deciding whether or not they want to be an Uber driver or not.

If it is such a terrible deal, working 100 hours a week to earn very little, go do something else. You are a moron if you are working 100 hours a week to make very little money.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2017, 04:06:07 PM
If it is such a terrible deal, working 100 hours a week to earn very little, go do something else. You are a moron if you are working 100 hours a week to make very little money.

Unfortunately the USN considers that AWOL.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 29, 2017, 04:45:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 29, 2017, 04:06:07 PM

Unfortunately the USN considers that AWOL.

Sailors don't earn very little...at least if you include veterans preference points.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

If Uber drivers can negotiate themselves a better deal by acting collectively, good for them.

But the argument that people working in a free society at a voluntary job entered into of their own free will are "exploited"?

Bullshit.

I don't know enough about uber to comment on them, but there are  jobs entered under voluntary status that are exploitive, such as migrant fruit pickers or sweatshop workers (i'm thinking ones in the western world in this scenario)
migrant fruit pickers aren't exactly exploited.  Yes, they earn less than a local.  They are fed, they are lodged, they can collect EI premiums when they back in their country and they make 10 times more here than in Guatemala or whatever south american country they're from.

Sweatshop workers are often involuntary, in the sense that they don't have any papers, their passport were confisctated by the shop managers, they don't speak the local language(s) and they're told bad things will happen to their family if they try to quit. 

Sure, compared to a black south carolinian slave in 1849, they are free.  But I wouldn't compare this to an Uber driver who decides to put his car and his time at Uber's disposal when he choses to.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on September 30, 2017, 10:14:44 AM
migrant fruit pickers aren't exactly exploited.  Yes, they earn less than a local.  They are fed, they are lodged, they can collect EI premiums when they back in their country and they make 10 times more here than in Guatemala or whatever south american country they're from.

Sweatshop workers are often involuntary, in the sense that they don't have any papers, their passport were confisctated by the shop managers, they don't speak the local language(s) and they're told bad things will happen to their family if they try to quit.

In which fantasy setting does this story take place?

HVC

Bullshit.

Sure, compared to a black south carolinian slave in 1849, they are free.  But I wouldn't compare this to an Uber driver who decides to put his car and his time at Uber's disposal when he choses to.

I wasn't comparing them to uber drivers, I was just taking exception to Berkut's statement that workers can't be exploited in a free society.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2017, 10:36:01 AM

In which fantasy setting does this story take place?

One in which Guatemala is a South American country?  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 30, 2017, 12:02:40 PM

If they're still in Guatemala they're not really migrating, now are they? 

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2017, 12:08:44 PM

If in South America, they would have to accomplish a more expensive migration actually.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2017, 12:08:44 PM

lots of workers from central and south america come over here to pick fruit and go back home durint the fall and winter season.  wineyards hire foreign workers to maintain the grapes.

Since there's been a lot of talk on the left about how these people are exploited, I guessed HVC had this in mind, since he is Canadian and there isn't a lot of fruits to pick up here during winter.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Oh, you assholes are talking about Canada. That makes all the difference.

Like I said, Land of Make-Believe.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2017, 03:40:03 PM
Like I said, Land of Make-Believe.
Why don't you move over here?  We have healthcare, and an ex-cop could find a job as a security guard in one of our agencies.  If you work in Montreal, not speaking french will look better on your resume.

You could do that.  Or keep bitching that Derspiess is out to kill you with his Republican healthcare reform.

All you have to do is agree to sell your soul to multiculturalism, bitch against the French but never against the English and swear fealty to Emperor Justin I.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive