Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?

Started by Martinus, October 01, 2014, 02:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, so between Russo-Ukrainian war, the ISIL/ISIS menace, uncontained Ebola outbreaks, Hong Kong protests, the Arab Spring being a long forgotten memory, Turkey going authoritarian, etc. are we experienced the shittiest year in decades or is this no worse than usual?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

What do you mean? The Arab Spring is still going on.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

During the Cold War we lived in constant fear of nuclear war and millions lived under the oppression of Soviet domination.  But it did give some stability to the world.  When the Wall came down in '89 all things seemed possible.  It was going to be a new prosperous peaceful world.  Hasnt worked out so well.  It would be an interesting discussion as to whether the current state of things was inevitable or whether, with better policy decision, a peaceful world really was possible.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 01, 2014, 02:22:23 PM
Not as bad as next year will be.  :ph34r:

:lol:

I sat in on a leadership meeting not too long ago, and got to listen to Suit From Downtowntm pontificate on how the world has become a more dangerous place.   Really?  And when, exactly, was it ever a less dangerous place?

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2014, 02:26:24 PM
During the Cold War we lived in constant fear of nuclear war and millions lived under the oppression of Soviet domination.  But it did give some stability to the world.  When the Wall came down in '89 all things seemed possible.  It was going to be a new prosperous peaceful world.  Hasnt worked out so well.  It would be an interesting discussion as to whether the current state of things was inevitable or whether, with better policy decision, a peaceful world really was possible.

Yeah it seems to me we are entering into a new cold war era, with slightly differently drawn lines. In a sense it does lend a certain stability to the world - people tend to forget fighting over lesser things.

Barrister

I'm really struggling to see how 2014 is any worse than any other year.

Seriously.  Pick a year - any year, since 1991, and it has more or less the same levels of violence and mayhem going on.

Let's pick... 2004.  Ten years ago.

http://www.infoplease.com/year/2004.html

Highlights included terrorist attacks in Spain, and the Beslan shoolchild massacre in Russia.  Unrest and massacres in Darfur, Sudan.  US troops go on the offensive in Falluja, Iraq.  Protests over fraudulent election in Ukraine.  Oh yeah, and a massive tsunami killed 200,000 people.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2014, 02:39:22 PM

Seriously.  Pick a year - any year, since 1991, and it has more or less the same levels of violence and mayhem going on.

Highlights included terrorist attacks in Spain, and the Beslan shoolchild massacre in Russia.  Unrest and massacres in Darfur, Sudan.  US troops go on the offensive in Falluja, Iraq.  Protests over fraudulent election in Ukraine.  Oh yeah, and a massive tsunami killed 200,000 people.

Please. In the 90s the worst thing that happened was the POTUS having sex.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2014, 02:51:24 PM

Let's go back another 10 years.  1994.

-genocide in Rwanda, killing 100s of thousands
-Serbs shelling Sarjevo
-Russia attacks Chechnya
-OJ kills his wife

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2014, 02:59:46 PM

-Serbs shelling Sarjevo
-Russia attacks Chechnya
-OJ kills his wife

BUT Sweden finished third in the World Cup.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2014, 03:00:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2014, 02:59:46 PM

-Serbs shelling Sarjevo
-Russia attacks Chechnya
-OJ kills his wife

BUT Sweden finished third in the World Cup.

Brolin easily outweighs OJ on that list. :yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2014, 02:30:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2014, 02:26:24 PM

Yeah it seems to me we are entering into a new cold war era, with slightly differently drawn lines. In a sense it does lend a certain stability to the world - people tend to forget fighting over lesser things.

This time you guys will be on the right side of the battlelines. Welcome to the winning team.