Incest a 'fundamental right', German committee says

Started by jimmy olsen, September 30, 2014, 06:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I wanted to post something similar as Malthus but I thought I'd be more agreeable/less of a dickhead.  :blush:

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 04:22:30 PM
I wanted to post something similar as Malthus but I thought I'd be more agreeable/less of a dickhead.  :blush:

As for me, I'll concede the crown of agreeableness to others, and concentrate on amusing myself ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Fwiw, society was in no way ready for statism in the 1920s.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on October 07, 2014, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 03:31:00 PM
People who make posts like the one you just did, Ide, have always baffled me. What's the motivation?

Just pointing it out in case it escaped him.  Personally, I don't really give a fuck.
:huh: I thought your point well-made and quite clear.  I guess mileage may vary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 03:31:00 PM
People who make posts like the one you just did, Ide, have always baffled me. What's the motivation?

I assumed his motivation was to give some helpful advice.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 05:41:13 PM
:huh: I thought your point well-made and quite clear.  I guess mileage may vary.

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2014, 05:44:57 PM
I assumed his motivation was to give some helpful advice.

I think you may have found why it was so baffling to Marty :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 04:24:32 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 04:22:30 PM

As for me, I'll concede the crown of agreeableness to others, and concentrate on amusing myself ...  ;)

That's pretty much my stance as well.  People say stupid things, and it amuses me to point out how stupid their statements are.  If people don't like it, I can live with that.  This is the place for being like that.  I can't mock my students like I can mock the adults who post here.

Ironically, I really don't post much at all on my other favorite site, Warships1.  You think people here are nasty and petty?  Those guys have an absolutely enormous amount of collective factual knowledge abut everything to do with warships (guns, armor, propulsion, design trade offs, tactic, strategy, and all from primary sources) and have been a community longer than Languish has, and yet the noise-to-signal ratio is 10:1 at least, because they bicker like old married couples.  I learn a lot just reading, but I don't dare enter the fray, because the fray is almost never about facts.  There are no idiots there, but that doesn't stop them from being The Internet Personified.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 05:53:51 PMThere are no idiots there, but that doesn't stop them from being The Internet Personified.

Are there idiots here? :cry:

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2014, 06:16:27 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 05:53:51 PMThere are no idiots there, but that doesn't stop them from being The Internet Personified.

I don't think there are - they wouldn't last long.

There are people who do not use their brain very often though, and there are plenty who only use it to effectively argue their position without ever engaging it to consider whether their position is actually warranted however. But you can be extremely intelligent and do that...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

DG tells me I am and it hurts mah feelers :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2014, 06:24:40 PM
There are people who do not use their brain very often though,

That's cause I wore it out when I was young.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 07, 2014, 06:28:51 PM

DG tells me I am and it hurts mah feelers :(
Agreed. :yes:

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2014, 06:24:40 PM

I don't think there are - they wouldn't last long.

There are people who do not use their brain very often though, and there are plenty who only use it to effectively argue their position without ever engaging it to consider whether their position is actually warranted however. But you can be extremely intelligent and do that...

That's the point.  The guys on warship1 are really smart - they can argue details about armor and shells and how many hits the USS Massachusetts scored in the Battle of Casablanca citing the ship's deck logs and still end up with the last three pages of any thread just being messages calling each other idiots.  It really makes me appreciate this forum more.  We may have our idiots but they are our idiots.  I even may be one of them.  But the idiot-bashing here isn't anywhere near the norm it is elsewhere on this internet-thingy.

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 08:49:40 PM
That's the point.  The guys on warship1 are really smart - they can argue details about armor and shells and how many hits the USS Massachusetts scored in the Battle of Casablanca citing the ship's deck logs and still end up with the last three pages of any thread just being messages calling each other idiots.  It really makes me appreciate this forum more.  We may have our idiots but they are our idiots.  I even may be one of them.  But the idiot-bashing here isn't anywhere near the norm it is elsewhere on this internet-thingy.

You say you appreciate this forum for it's well below average idiot bashing, yet say this:

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 05:53:51 PM
That's pretty much my stance as well.  People say stupid things, and it amuses me to point out how stupid their statements are.  If people don't like it, I can live with that.  This is the place for being like that.  I can't mock my students like I can mock the adults who post here.

Ironically, I really don't post much at all on my other favorite site, Warships1.  You think people here are nasty and petty?  Those guys have an absolutely enormous amount of collective factual knowledge abut everything to do with warships (guns, armor, propulsion, design trade offs, tactic, strategy, and all from primary sources) and have been a community longer than Languish has, and yet the noise-to-signal ratio is 10:1 at least, because they bicker like old married couples.  I learn a lot just reading, but I don't dare enter the fray, because the fray is almost never about facts.  There are no idiots there, but that doesn't stop them from being The Internet Personified.

So you're actively trying to bring it up towards the norm by some of your posting behaviour here.  :hmm:

Sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"