Incest a 'fundamental right', German committee says

Started by jimmy olsen, September 30, 2014, 06:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I know. ________.  :yuk:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Martim Silva on October 07, 2014, 11:48:43 AM

Not sure. - .

Granted, her marriage only lasted 4 years and he hasn't married his girlfriend of the last 12 years, but I hardly doubt that is abnormal.

Lots of victims of parental incest and child abuse grow up to lead successful lives. This is not proof the practices are harmless.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

I love how Martim rolls into the thread and keeps it real.

Eddie Teach

The ambassador lost his virginity to Auntie Maria.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 12:46:30 PM
Quote from: Martim Silva on October 07, 2014, 11:48:43 AM

Not sure. My cousins (brother and sister) had plenty of sex when they were 13-17 [their parents house only had one room for the kids, which they shared], and she grew to be a ________, while he is a now a ________.

Granted, her marriage only lasted 4 years and he hasn't married his girlfriend of the last 12 years, but I hardly doubt that is abnormal.

Lots of victims of parental incest and child abuse grow up to lead successful lives. This is not proof the practices are harmless.

Malthus - building on your point, not disagreeing with you:

It's quite possible Ms. ________ and Mr. ________ think back on their "youthful indiscretions" with nothing but fondness.  I haven't said that incest is inherently, 100% of the time harmful.

The problem is that issues of consent, of power imbalances, of abuse, are almost impossible to analyze when two children live in the same room.  It's also quite plausible that Ms. ________ cried herself to sleep many night after her brother forced herself on her, then forced her to repeat the act night after night saying "no one will ever believe you if you tell" "it's our little secret" or "think what father will do to you if he finds out what you've been doing".

Besides - sometimes it's better to have a little grey area in the criminal law.  As Martim himself points out - if nobody complains, then the law doesn't get involved.  But what I don't want to see is if a girl (or boy) comes forward to allege that their sibling has been sexually abusing them for years, for the subsequent trial to then revolve around how the sexual abuse victim "wanted it", how he/she was just a little "promiscuous slut".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2014, 01:12:06 PM
But what I don't want to see is if a girl (or boy) comes forward to allege that their sibling has been sexually abusing them for years, for the subsequent trial to then revolve around how the sexual abuse victim "wanted it", how he/she was just a little "promiscuous slut".

That would be rather convenient for the prosecutor.

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2014, 01:19:54 PM
But what I don't want to see is if a girl (or boy) comes forward to allege that their sibling has been sexually abusing them for years, for the subsequent trial to then revolve around how the sexual abuse victim "wanted it", how he/she was just a little "promiscuous slut".

That would be rather convenient for the prosecutor.

And for sexual predators.

Martinus

To be honest, I have no problem with banning parenting incest. I just think sibling incest should be legal.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2014, 01:19:54 PM

That would be rather convenient for the prosecutor justice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 01:29:04 PM
To be honest, I have no problem with banning parenting incest. I just think sibling incest should be legal.

If a parent has sex with a child, which one do you send to gaol? Non-rhetorical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2014, 01:29:04 PM

If a parent has sex with a child, which one do you send to gaol? Non-rhetorical.

The parent, most likely.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 01:31:08 PM

That one's a no-brainer, since there's an authority imbalance that may or may not be present in sibling sex.  The consensus is that we send the parent to jail/gaol, and the child to therapy.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 06, 2014, 04:41:57 PM
Yes and the part I am specifically addressing is the rather odd notion (assumed by many here to be true) that an adult parent can have consensual sex with their adult child.  I get why Brain literally has a dog in this fight.  But I dont know why others seem to hold this view.
Because parental sex is not the only case where there is a disproportionate influence on the other partner.  And because sex is not the only thing where an adult can be seen as being unable to give consent.  Also because I doubt a lot of adults have the mental capacities to decide for a lot of things that affect themselves or their family, yet, we must always assume there is free and willing consent for adults, unless proven otherwise.

And lastly, because I'm trying hard to not let my personal preferences influence my opinion on the subject.  I'm not sure how I would react if I learn someone I know was sleeping with his sister.  Probably disgusted.  But is it really the State's job to intervene in such affair, now?  If I knew a case where a minor is involved with an adult, I'd sure file a complaint.  But two adults?  Or two teens?

It's a little more fuzzy for me there.  But I'll heartily admit I haven't read much on the subject.  I don't even know if these behavior can be treated.  So really, what do we do with them?  Keep them locked up forever, put them a list of dangerous sexual offenders for life?  If it can't be cured, only controlled, do we have effective treatment? If not, what's preventing them for doing it again?  If it's treatable with a reasonable chance of success, aren't we negating their chances at a normal life by punishing this behavior like any kind of pedophilia or rape crime?

I'll also admit that this is all highly theoritical, as I can't remember the last time I read a newspiece about two adults convicted of incest (with each other) in Canada.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I meant the converse, convenient if BB got his wish. There are two possible defenses to the charge, that it didn't happen or that it was consensual. Assuming there's evidence that sexual relations did take place, the defense doesn't have much hope if they don't claim the (alleged) victim "wanted it."