Human Rights Watch Warns of 'Authoritarian Drift' in Turkey

Started by Syt, September 30, 2014, 12:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I want to be outraged, but I know even my outrage is wasted on Trump and people who support him. They simply don't care - not only do they not care, they actually take delight in the outrage of the rational.

When Trump lies, his fans don't just ignore the lie, they love it. It is, for them, a sign of his power that even the truth is no bound on him and what he can say. It isn't that the truth doesn't matter, it is exactly the opposite. Only the weak would care about such things.

This is why derspeiss for example can actually say something like "Sure Trump is a mess, but he is better than Hillary!". Because the truth not only does not matter, it is actually that the truth is an active negative to be disparaged and mocked. It doesn't matter that all that bullshit about her emails turned up nothing substantial, because Trump had millions and millions at his inauguration, and won the electoral college by the largest margin in history.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Not only are you suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome, but apparently you've also developed Derspiess Derangement Syndrome.  So sad!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2017, 10:25:35 AM
Not only are you suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome, but apparently you've also developed Derspiess Derangement Syndrome.  So sad!

Oh is it now deranged to NOT cheer on dictators? You really are embracing this Cold War Democrat stuff you self-identify as.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 09:58:32 AM
I...see...

Yeah I have nothing.

You have exactly what you were told you were going to get.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2017, 10:28:14 AM

Somehow I still get surprised.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 10:29:05 AM

You better flush out your head gear, new guy.  This isn't about freedom.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 10:26:52 AM
Oh is it now deranged to NOT cheer on dictators?

Never said that.  It was a stupid move on his part, and even worse to publicize it like he did.  I know he did this in the context of galvanizing Erdogan's support for his Syria policy (another stupid move IMO), but there's no excuse. 

Trump's a bad seed.  What am I supposed to do??

QuoteYou really are embracing this Cold War Democrat stuff you self-identify as.

:D Cut that out now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2017, 10:31:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2017, 10:29:05 AM

You better flush out your head gear, new guy.  This isn't about freedom.

:punk:

Valmy

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2017, 10:25:35 AM

Of course, the truth doesn't matter, so say whatever you like, Sean. Keep defending Trump though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

The Larch

Apparently the EU is requesting an investigation into alleged irregularities in the referendum claimed by international observers. They're talking of 1.5 million votes that were accepted late in the process that would have been invalidated in past elections.

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 17, 2017, 05:32:16 PM
Apologies - I did not mean to say that their reactionary vote was inexplicable (which, politically, is a way to paint them as dangerous). On the contrary, I think there are many ways to explain their vote. What I meant to suggest is that the move to normalize the immigrant experience - which has the laudable goal of making immigrants of today similar to those of the past - often glosses over the changes in communication, connection, and feeling of belonging that happened in the last hundred years. In short, if the "liberal perspective" is just to wait until assimilation "happens", I fear it may not be sufficient to address the political challenges of our times.

Yeah, I think that boat has sailed in Europe a while ago. I don't, however, think that the sailing was due to modern communication technology but other facts. Because, IMO, the "liberal perspective" where assimilation "happens" is still working fairly well here in Canada and we have the same technology exposure as they have in Europe - so while there may be complicated and intractable issues facing Europe on the subject of immigration and integration I don't think it's down to technology particularly. People have always been good at communicating and staying aware of things they cared about, and expat communities with strong connections to the internal political struggles of their country of origin has been a feature of pretty much all recorded history.

Valmy

I am not sure that boat was ever in port in Europe with its long history of ethnic strife, though some countries did better than others.