Islamic State tortures, publicly executes a female human rights lawyer in Mosul

Started by Martinus, September 26, 2014, 10:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteUN: Islamic State tortured, publicly executed rights lawyer in Mosul

Samira Salih al-Nuaimi was seized from home after allegedly posting Facebook messages critical of IS' destruction of religious sites.

By The Associated Press | Sep. 26, 2014 | 5:00 AM

Islamic State militants publicly killed a rights lawyer in the Iraqi city of Mosul after finding her guilty of apostasy in a self-styled Islamic court, the United Nations said Thursday.

Samira Salih al-Nuaimi was seized from her home on September 17 after allegedly posting messages on Facebook that were critical of the militants' destruction of religious sites in Mosul. Her Facebook page appears to have been removed since her death.

According to the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq, al-Nuaimi was tried in a so-called "Sharia court" for apostasy, after which she was tortured for five days before the militants sentenced her to public execution.

"By torturing and executing a female human rights' lawyer and activist, defending in particular the civil and human rights of her fellow citizens in Mosul, ISIL continues to attest to its infamous nature, combining hatred, nihilism and savagery, as well as its total disregard of human decency," Nickolay Mladenov, the UN envoy to Iraq, said in a statement, referring to the group by an acronym.

The militant group captured Iraq's second largest city Mosul during its rapid advance across the country's north and west in June, as Iraqi security forces melted away. The extremists now rule a vast, self-declared caliphate straddling the Syria-Iraq border in which they have imposed a harsh version of Islamic law and beheaded and massacred their opponents.

In the once-diverse city of Mosul the group has forced religious minorities to convert to Islam, pay special taxes or die, causing tens of thousands to flee. The militants have enforced a strict dress code on women, going so far as to veil the faces of female mannequins in store fronts.

In August, the group destroyed a number of historic landmarks in the town, including several mosques and shrines, claiming they promote apostasy.

The Gulf Center for Human Rights said Wednesday that al-Nuaimi had worked on detainee rights and poverty. The Bahrain-based rights organization said her death "is solely motivated by her peaceful and legitimate human rights work, in particular defending the civil and human rights of her fellow citizens in Mosul."

The militants' rapid advance eventually prompted U.S. airstrikes last month to aid Kurdish forces and protect religious minorities in Iraq. This week a newly formed U.S.-led coalition expanded the aerial campaign into Syria, where the Islamic State group is battling President Bashar Assad's forces as well as Western-backed rebels.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/middle-east/1.617721

This makes me so sick and angry I can't even begin to describe it.

garbon

Why'd you make this a separate thread? Seems, unfortunately, in line with everything else they have been doing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2014, 10:34:01 AM
Why'd you make this a separate thread?

Because I thought this brave woman deserves her own thread, more than some attention whore with a mattress. Seriously, go fuck yourself if that is all you can comment.

garbon

If we're going to create a thread for every person tortured/executed by ISIS, we're going to need a lot of threads.

Obviously this is terrible and there are hardly words to state how infuriating/awful/barbaric it is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2014, 10:42:02 AM
Very brave and very stupid.

I don't think it is stupid to try to help other people, even when risking one's life.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2014, 10:42:58 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2014, 10:42:02 AM
Very brave and very stupid.

I don't think it is stupid to try to help other people, even when risking one's life.

She wasn't just risking her life, though.  She was pretty much certain to be caught and executed.

I admire her bravery & conviction, but I'm thinking she could have done more good had she lived longer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2014, 12:41:03 PM
Reel him in.  :lol:

Nobody is blaming the victim you dimwit.

Well you and derspiess are, in a sense.

Seriously, though, I think the West should adopt a zero tolerance policy for Islamotards. Your son/brother/uncle leaves to join the ISIS? Your entire family gets deported. 

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2014, 12:46:50 PM
Seriously, though, I think the West should adopt a zero tolerance policy for Islamotards. Your son/brother/uncle leaves to join the ISIS? Your entire family gets deported.
:huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2014, 12:50:26 PM
No we're not, in a sense.

Not in any sense. 

Well, maybe in a Polish sense but that's the same sense in which lancers charge tanks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2014, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2014, 12:46:50 PM
:huh:

Sorry, I'm really mad. If I could press a button right now that would wipe all Islamists off the face of the Earth, I would do it in an instant.