Why Rome?

Started by Queequeg, October 11, 2014, 07:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2014, 06:26:30 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 14, 2014, 05:46:55 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 13, 2014, 06:59:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2014, 06:54:57 PM
Ok, so other than roads, peace, citizenship, population density, urbanization, aqueducts, law, discipline and an ability to quickly adapt new technology what did the Romans really have going for them?
War dogs.

Flaming Pigs :contract:
One of those ideas that sounds good until you think about it for a second.

Certainly not the one that has the end result of bacon.  :licklips:

jimmy olsen

An unusually lucid post by Siege.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on October 14, 2014, 09:43:37 PM
In other words, one-man rule always loses against the shared power of a ruling elite.
I don't mean it loses just as direct confrontation, but rather as a performance comparison.
The roman republic, had it corrected its intrinsic weaknesses and maintained its core republican values, it would have far outlasted the roman empire.

History argues that you are wrong.  The Roman Empire lasted until 1453.  I don't think it is plausible to project the Roman Republic lasting that long.  The Republic of Venice was the longest-lasting oligarchy that springs to mind, and it lasted almost a thousand years, but it was an oligarchy of a single city, and so not much of a real comparison.

I would agree with you that the republican form of government served Rome the city better than did the imperial form, but I don't think  the system translated well to an empire, because the benefits for each governor to loot his own province was too great, and that would have led to endless rebellions and independence movements.  Republican Rome couldn't have maintained the armies necessary for the quelling of these constant rebellions, because the republic was based on much more limited military service per man and more men serving their time.  The logistics of the period just didn't support the constant shuffling of new legions to replace disbanding ones after each campaign season, when the scope of the movement was the empire and not Italy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on October 15, 2014, 06:43:32 AM
Quote from: Siege on October 14, 2014, 09:43:37 PM
In other words, one-man rule always loses against the shared power of a ruling elite.
I don't mean it loses just as direct confrontation, but rather as a performance comparison.
The roman republic, had it corrected its intrinsic weaknesses and maintained its core republican values, it would have far outlasted the roman empire.

History argues that you are wrong.  The Roman Empire lasted until 1453.  I don't think it is plausible to project the Roman Republic lasting that long.  The Republic of Venice was the longest-lasting oligarchy that springs to mind, and it lasted almost a thousand years, but it was an oligarchy of a single city, and so not much of a real comparison.

I would agree with you that the republican form of government served Rome the city better than did the imperial form, but I don't think  the system translated well to an empire, because the benefits for each governor to loot his own province was too great, and that would have led to endless rebellions and independence movements.  Republican Rome couldn't have maintained the armies necessary for the quelling of these constant rebellions, because the republic was based on much more limited military service per man and more men serving their time.  The logistics of the period just didn't support the constant shuffling of new legions to replace disbanding ones after each campaign season, when the scope of the movement was the empire and not Italy.

The marian reforms where well within the republican period.
It is the republic who expanded into the most powerful state in the med, and it was the republic who created the provincial system.
Yes, the government of the provinces was initially just a reward to successful senatorial service, but this could have been fixed as the needs of the republic changed from expansion to consolidation.

The republican system created a wider base from which to draw talented people for govenrmtne and military leadership.
No imperial system back then had such a large pool of intellectual power.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 12, 2014, 03:28:26 AM
Uh weren't the Romans total homophobes and prudes?
Malthus talked about it a lot, and it seems, from what we know, that a noble man fucking a younger boy was ok, but the opposite was degrading.  Fucking slaves was ok, but fucking a free young roman was inapropriate to say the least.

As for women's right, I don't think roman women had more rights than other women in the area.  There were worst places, but there were probably better places too.  I think Celtic women generally enjoyed more freedom than Roman women, and you could see woman warriors in barbarian tribes, something impossible in roman society.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2014, 09:05:26 AM
I think Celtic women generally enjoyed more freedom than Roman women, and you could see woman warriors in barbarian tribes, something impossible in roman society.

I find it hard to count the freedom to die in battle as a sign of freedom. Sort of like how I wasn't bother so much by don't ask, don't tell while gay sex/marriage/adoption was illegal. You don't want to give me all my rights, then don't expect me to want to die for yours.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 09:10:11 AM
I find it hard to count the freedom to die in battle as a sign of freedom. Sort of like how I wasn't bother so much by don't ask, don't tell while gay sex/marriage/adoption was illegal. You don't want to give me all my rights, then don't expect me to want to die for yours.
Given that a soldier brought his own equipment to the field, if a woman was a soldier, it most likely meant that she had a nobility title in her tribe and/or some accumulated wealth.  Gaulic tribes did not have professional armies, afaik.

Voting rights would be mostly irrelevant, I don't think they had any kind of democracy like Rome or the Greek cities.  Maybe they elected their tribe's leader, not really sure, but I don't think they voted each laws&regulations.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on October 15, 2014, 09:24:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 09:10:11 AM
Given that a soldier brought his own equipment to the field, if a woman was a soldier, it most likely meant that she had a nobility title in her tribe and/or some accumulated wealth.  Gaulic tribes did not have professional armies, afaik.

Voting rights would be mostly irrelevant, I don't think they had any kind of democracy like Rome or the Greek cities.  Maybe they elected their tribe's leader, not really sure, but I don't think they voted each laws&regulations.

I was just being a jerk. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.