News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Rome?

Started by Queequeg, October 11, 2014, 07:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2014, 08:22:01 PM
Inclusive citizenship and resulting manpower advantage.
I agree, this was the largest factor.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PRC

A culture of ambition and insatiable hunger for glory.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2014, 08:22:01 PM
Inclusive citizenship and resulting manpower advantage.

I agree strongly with this view.

The Romans had plenty of other plus points of course, but so did their competitors, the inclusive and rapidly expanding citizen base gave them a huge advantage. So the 2nd Punic war was a country vs a rich city and its mercenaries, Philip V of Macedon's manpower pool was about 1/14 of the Roman pool etc etc

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 11, 2014, 10:35:43 PM
That's it. Rome rose because they knew how to drain swamps.

The reason why Hungary never became a superpower. :yes:

Martinus

Yeah, unlike many other ancient cultures (including the Greeks), Romans practiced what we today call diversity. Even their women had more rights than women in other cultures of the era.

MadImmortalMan

Uh weren't the Romans total homophobes and prudes?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 12, 2014, 03:28:26 AM

I meant diversity in the ethnic, religious, cultural (and to a much smaller degree, gender) sense. I think even in modern language diversity took to include inclusiveness of other sexual orientations very late - it used to be used mainly to denote ethnic, cultural and racial diversity.

Martinus

And to be clear (because this is Languish so anything will always be interpreted by someone in the way most adverse to intended meaning), I am not saying that Romans were practising diversity by modern standards - but by the average standard of the era.

I think the development of their worldview matches quite closely that of the US, to be honest. I would say the French are more like Greeks.

Razgovory

I'm not sure how inclusive Rome was as it rose up.  When Hannibal invaded Italy he took advantage of the resentment that the other Italians had of Rome.  It should be also noted that Roman citizenship was graduated.  Some citizens were more equal then others.  Particularly those living in the city of Rome rather then in the country side.  Roman citizenship expanded after domination, not before.  Citizenship was given to Italians only after they rose up in rebellion.  Outside of Italy it took much longer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2014, 03:26:41 AM
Yeah, unlike many other ancient cultures (including the Greeks), Romans practiced what we today call diversity. Even their women had more rights than women in other cultures of the era.

The head of Roman family could kill his wife and sell his daughters into slavery.  That's not exactly strong women's rights.  The rights of women in surrounding cultures is extremely unclear since not a lot of records are left from German tribes or the city of Carthage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2014, 08:09:27 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 11, 2014, 08:08:08 PM
All roads led to Rome.

But were the roads there before Rome?  And don't lie, or I'll know.

Yes. It's a last place where the river is fordable, there would have been roads/tracks there first most likely.

Scipio

Quote from: alfred russel on October 11, 2014, 08:08:08 PM
All roads led to Rome. So it was a rather obvious location for centralized rule.
All roads led from Rome, as well.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

I think that you guys have identified the key:  inclusive citizenship, which created a much larger pool of people willing to fight for the state.  Even pre-Marian-reform, the property requirements for serving as a soldier were lower than that of, say, Athens or Syracuse.  And I don't know of a contemporary society where former slaves could become full citizens.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 12, 2014, 03:28:26 AM

Roman society had many contradictory things true at the same time :P

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martim Silva

The Roman Republic, especially before Sulla, did not have an inclusive citizenship at all. And citizenship was only given to non-Italians in 212 AD. Pre-Marian Republican Legions actually meant a 'Roman' legion and a similar legion of other Italians (who did not enjoy the same rights).

(Many posters here seem to be trying desperately to see the triumph of modern values in an ancient state).

For a more detalied of the actual why of the fact that Rome won, check the population density of the Italian peninsula vs. everywhere else in from the 3rd century BC to the 1st century AD. Also see the development of military discipline and doctrines.

Also check recruitment rosters: by mid 1st century BC, Rome had at its disposal more adult males of military age than the whole population of Gaul.

And these are raw numbers, not inclusive stuff - for that matter, many of the nations that Rome fought would accept solderis from wherever they might come, since their own populations simply were not large enough to face the Romans, irrespective of the level of 'inclusion' (the Romans fought literally every single tribe in Gaul at the same time - the battle at Alesia was the biggest one Europe would see in terms of sheer number of participants until WWI).

Quote from: MadImmortalMan

What? No.

What there was is a different set of morals (Roman women were to cover their breasts at all times, and it was seen as immature for men to be attracted to those, as they were 'to feed babies'), but the comparison cannot be done.

And Homosexuality in those days cannot be compared to the modern idea of the term.