News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Suspension of disbelief of fashion

Started by Razgovory, September 25, 2014, 03:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I know I'm going to regret this, but here is a photo of the Raz in the wild.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2014, 04:07:21 PM
No offense Raz, but fat boys don't look good in suspenders.

Fat boys don't look good in anything. And when you have too much gut/too little butt, pants falling becomes problematic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Big guys look best in clothes that fit them. Wearing a tent to hide it makes it worse.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Or even better, invent a suspenders/shoulder holster combo, and go with this look...

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2014, 06:33:59 PM

Are you sure that's not an old photo of George Martin?  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 25, 2014, 07:56:33 PM
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/07/24/large-man-style/

I just wanted to point out that of the "7 Easy Style Upgrades", #1 was "wear suspenders".

Raz, you're not a bad looking man. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2014, 04:07:21 PM
No offense Raz, but fat boys don't look good in suspenders.

Fat boys don't look good in anything. And when you have too much gut/too little butt, pants falling becomes problematic.

This is true.  Nothing looks as bad as a gut pushing down a pair of pants with a belt, belly poking out under the shirt like Baby Huey.

Raz, you're not trying to win a fashion show.  Wear what's comfortable, which is probably suspenders with certain types of pants.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 25, 2014, 07:52:58 PM
Big guys look best in clothes that fit them. Wearing a tent to hide it makes it worse.

Big boys should wear suspenders with suits though, not belts.

Warspite

Braces (suspenders mean something else for us Brits  :blush:) are best worn with a more formal outfit - which means trousers designed for braces (don't use clip-on braces, oh god please) and a long-sleeve shirt.

If you do go down this route, get a variety of colours so you can match to what you're wearing.

Wearing a t-shirt and braces will make you look like a German comedian.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 25, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2014, 06:33:59 PM

Are you sure that's not an old photo of George Martin?  ;)

I don't think suspenders will help in that department. :(  It's worse when I have a beard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Warspite on September 26, 2014, 05:33:17 AM
Braces (suspenders mean something else for us Brits  :blush:) are best worn with a more formal outfit - which means trousers designed for braces (don't use clip-on braces, oh god please) and a long-sleeve shirt.

Agreed.  Braces* with casual attire just looks silly.  If the trousers don't have braces buttons, they probably aren't designed for wear with braces.  You can have the buttons added for a nominal sum.

QuoteIf you do go down this route, get a variety of colours so you can match to what you're wearing.
Yep.  And remember that if the tie is a solid color, the braces should be patterned, and vice-versa.  Tie and braces should share a color.

* Having lived in Britain, I uses braces now, as well, because the image of a man in "suspenders" is disturbing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 25, 2014, 07:55:58 PM

Or even better, invent a suspenders/shoulder holster combo, and go with this look...

I think people will think Raz looks much better if he starts to open-carry. Or at least they will not tell him otherwise.