News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Yemeni Civil War Thread

Started by jimmy olsen, September 25, 2014, 12:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 29, 2019, 12:53:21 AM
Hardly tiny, it's larger than California.
I guess I learned two things today.  :hmm: It sure doesn't look that big on Google Earth, especially when you do an eyeball comparison with Israel.  It sure looks a lot smaller in HOI4 as well.

Solmyr

I don't know what you are using, but on my Google Maps Yemen looks about 20 times bigger than Israel.

Admiral Yi

Yemen gets quite a bit more rain than the rest of the peninsula, is my understanding.

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on September 29, 2019, 01:08:56 AM
I don't know what you are using, but on my Google Maps Yemen looks about 20 times bigger than Israel.
How much bigger does it look compared to Oman?  It's actually almost twice as big, but this is mind-boggling to me, as they look identical.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2019, 01:09:34 AM
Yemen gets quite a bit more rain than the rest of the peninsula, is my understanding.

This has been known for a long time. The somewhat rainy part of Arabia used to be called Arabia Felix (Felix also means fertile) by the Romans.

Iormlund

I'm guessing hydro works had something to do as well. The Great Dam of Mar'ib is almost 3 millennia old, perhaps more.

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 29, 2019, 07:45:35 AM

This has been known for a long time. The somewhat rainy part of Arabia used to be called Arabia Felix (Felix also means fertile) by the Romans.

Felix actually means "lucky" in Latin.  Fertile is ferax (lit. "fruitful") or fertilis.  Felix has the same connotation, though, in that it is lucky because it gets rain.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Well I went to the trouble of watching Al Jazeera to see a report on this, as was to be expected, instead of video showing 3 lots of 3 to 5 thousand Saudi uniformed soldiers, what we got was was the Houthi claim that they'd killed 500 and captured 2000 in the ambush. And that this attack took place at the end of August, 26th onwards for 72 hours.

The Houthis themselves were reported as saying these were Yemeni nationals hoodwinked into fighting for the Saudis, so pretty much as we expected local forces/mercenaries/auxiliaries rather than Saudi army/national guard forces.

Most were shown out of uniform, up to around a couple of hundred in frame at anyone time, several 'Saudi' APC shown captured or destroyed; one an 8x8 LAV type turreted, another similar to the heavy US anti-IDE 4x4 from Iraq and the other 3+ were simple 4 wheeled light APCs .
Also shown were hundreds of small arms laid out on the ground, most looked like non-AK47 western firearms, but 11B4V could probably identify them, some looked a lot like M60s and relatively modern assault rifles.

Perhaps the most significant claim was that this happened well within Saudi Arabia, not far from a major town/city, but as is the way, no verification of this. The terrain show did look a lot like Yemen, but could well have been anywhere around the ill-defined border.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

500 killed, 2000 captured ia still a major embarrassment for SA, especially if it waswithin their territory. No confirmation, but juat as importantly no denial from Saudi Arabia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...tured-thousands
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2019, 01:44:32 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 29, 2019, 07:45:35 AM

Felix actually means "lucky" in Latin.  Fertile is ferax (lit. "fruitful") or fertilis.  Felix has the same connotation, though, in that it is lucky because it gets rain.

Felix can mean both plus happy. Fertilis and and ferax are synonyms as well.
Arabia Felix meant it was fertile and hence happy.

Eddie Teach

Love it when people agree with each other in the form of an argument.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Razgovory

I never learned the "Ferax", but I did learn "Felix".  It does mean both Happy and Lucky, but it was a shift in meaning just like the English word "Happy", which meant "lucky" and later became synonymous with a pleasant mood.  Three years of Latin so that I can occasionally remark that I know half of something.  Young Raz did not make good decisions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Happy and lucky, two words that fit perfectly to the subject of this thread.