News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Yemeni Civil War Thread

Started by jimmy olsen, September 25, 2014, 12:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2015, 11:20:51 AM
When has Yemen been a success story?  Hasn't it been a story of constant drone strikes in a failed state for quite a while?

Stories about the successful drone strikes generally had a positive spin.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn

Pres Obama cited it as some kind of success about a year ago, just before the Houthis went on a rampage. I assume the success he was talking about was the relative stability of the govt working with the West and its ability to work with the US/West on anti-terrorism in the nation as the US had some bases there to launch drone strikes from.

Eddie Teach

When has Yemen been a success story?  Hasn't it been a story of constant drone strikes in a failed state for quite a while?

I don't know, a few years ago it was a story of rapidly growing population, running out of water.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Early 1990's when they merged North and South Yemen after the Cold War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

When those guys got the salmon to run upstream.

mongers

Yemeni Houthis are claiming they've captured large numbers of Saudi troops and killed many more at the border:

http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/0KM41X9QGaA/yemens-houthis-say-attacked-saudi-border-frontline-no-immediate-saudi-confirmation-idUSKBN1WD0FO

Their spokesman is quoted as saying they've captured three brigades, though that might be a translations error, but they're claiming thousands capture along with hundreds of vehicles. Quoted as saying the captives will be displayed on Sunday.

If true it would be a stunning victory for the 'rebels' and huge humiliation for Prince MBS
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2019, 09:06:15 PM
I was just going to post this.

This would be an incredible victory if true.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/09/houthis-claim-capture-thousands-saudi-troops-attack-190928144722091.html

Hard to say until footage is shown; what we might think of as three brigades of Saudi troops, might turn out to be three groups of the large number of paid fighters that the Saudis and UAE have loosely trained, equipped with light weapons given toyota land cruiser like vehicles to.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2019, 09:12:33 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2019/09/houthis-claim-capture-thousands-saudi-troops-attack-190928144722091.html

Hard to say until footage is shown; what we might think of as three brigades of Saudi troops, might turn out to be three groups of the large number of paid fighters that the Saudis and UAE have loosely trained, equipped with light weapons given toyota land cruiser like vehicles to.

Eh, even if it turns out to be just mercenaries, if the "thousands of troops and hundreds of vehicles" is correct than this is still a huge defeat for the Saudis.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2019, 09:12:33 PM

Having a hard time finding a reputable online source, but I've seen posters on other forums who claim to know Arabic, say that the claim is really "3 brigades of Yemeni auxilliaries and 1 Saudi regiment"

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2019, 11:32:30 PM
Can I be: dubious?

Sure. Claims are cheap.

We'll see what they got when/if they parade the prisoners on Sunday.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Very much grammar problem hurt my heads so muchly.

10 quatloos says they captured a couple dozen anti-Houthi Yemenis and they pad out the crowd with a bunch of their own guys.

DGuller

Something I didn't realize until just now:  Yemen's population is almost as large as Saudi Arabia's.  I thought it was Oman-sized.  How in the world can 27 million people sustain themselves on that tiny piece of desert?

Eddie Teach

Hardly tiny, it's larger than California.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?