Columbia student carrying mattress until school expels her rapist

Started by garbon, September 24, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on September 24, 2014, 10:31:56 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:22:23 AMBesides, considering the mentioned figure that 1 in 5 female students will be sexually assaulted while at university, seems like something should probably be done.

Well if that Congolese war zone rape figure was even remotely plausible then a military intervention by UN peacekeepers with strong logistics and air support is what would be needed on campuses. What parent in their right mind would send a daughter to university if this was the case and not an example of mass hysteria?

Off hand, I can think of several friends who were sexually assaulted during their time at university.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2014, 10:32:54 AM
Yes, but should it be done by university staff - who have expertise in teaching students and academic discipline, but not necessarily in criminal law - or the police and courts?

To be honest, I'm not sure - though I think that is how it has been devised by universities. After all, historically, it has made it easier for them to keep the message on this.

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2014, 10:32:54 AMI'm not sure I understand the rationale for why the universities ought to become de facto courts for criminal complaints involving students.  I understand that the "ask" in this particular protest is for expelling a student based on an allegation of rape that has not yet been proven, essentially because of public pressure built up by her protest. Why is this a good idea?

Better question is why have they become. After all, her ask stems from the fact that a Columbia University panel of 3 "judges" found that there wasn't merit to her allegations (or those of two other female students with complaints about Paul) and nothing further happened.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on September 24, 2014, 10:32:54 AMYes, but should it be done by university staff - who have expertise in teaching students and academic discipline, but not necessarily in criminal law - or the police and courts?

I guess that it has to be taken into account that American universities do have their own police corps in their campuses.

Legbiter

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:34:27 AMOff hand, I can think of several friends who were sexually assaulted during their time at university

Yes, obviously you hung out with the cool crowd in college.  :wacko:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

I am shocked that American universities protect rapists. Penn State hasn't been closed AFAIK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:34:27 AM
Off hand, I can think of several friends who were sexually assaulted during their time at university.

I would be interested in learning more.  Are you willing to share details?

I know exactly one woman that could be considered to have been sexually assaulted at university.  She got wasted at a frat party and was passed around.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:22:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2014, 10:14:37 AM
There does seem to be increasing pressure for universities to "do more" to combat and punish alleged rape.  I'm not sure what more can be done though unless they want to strip away due process rights for anyone accused of rape.

I don't know - I mean I read that noted article in New York magazine and it had tales of university staff saying a lot of things that indicated they weren't putting much of a priority on it.

"She says one of the three judges even asked whether Paul used lubricant, commenting, 'I don't know how it's possible to have anal sex without lubrication first.'"

"Rape is like football. If you look back on the game, and you're the quarterback..is there anything you would have done differently?"

Besides, considering the mentioned figure that 1 in 5 female students will be sexually assaulted while at university, seems like something should probably be done.

Yes, but should it be done by university staff - who have expertise in teaching students and academic discipline, but not necessarily in criminal law - or the police and courts?

I'm not sure I understand the rationale for why the universities ought to become de facto courts for criminal complaints involving students. I understand that the "ask" in this particular protest is for expelling a student based on an allegation of rape that has not yet been proven, essentially because of public pressure built up by her protest. Why is this a good idea?

Because universities regularly are involved in disciplining their students, and they are not bound by the same standards and thresholds of a criminal court.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 10:47:06 AM

I would be interested in learning more.  Are you willing to share details?

I know exactly one woman that could be considered to have been sexually assaulted at university.  She got wasted at a frat party and was passed around.

"considered" to have been sexually assaulted?  That sounds like the very definition.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

How is sexual assault being defined here?  When I was in college some unattractive drunk girl grabbed my ass at a frat party-- that's technically sexual assault, isn't it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2014, 10:53:37 AM

How is sexual assault being defined here?  When I was in college some unattractive drunk girl grabbed my ass at a frat party-- that's technically sexual assault, isn't it?

Yes.

Should have carried the pants you wore that night on a pole wherever you went until justice was done.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2014, 10:52:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:22:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2014, 10:14:37 AM
There does seem to be increasing pressure for universities to "do more" to combat and punish alleged rape.  I'm not sure what more can be done though unless they want to strip away due process rights for anyone accused of rape.

I don't know - I mean I read that noted article in New York magazine and it had tales of university staff saying a lot of things that indicated they weren't putting much of a priority on it.

"She says one of the three judges even asked whether Paul used lubricant, commenting, 'I don't know how it's possible to have anal sex without lubrication first.'"

"Rape is like football. If you look back on the game, and you're the quarterback..is there anything you would have done differently?"

Besides, considering the mentioned figure that 1 in 5 female students will be sexually assaulted while at university, seems like something should probably be done.

I'm not sure I understand the rationale for why the universities ought to become de facto courts for criminal complaints involving students. I understand that the "ask" in this particular protest is for expelling a student based on an allegation of rape that has not yet been proven, essentially because of public pressure built up by her protest. Why is this a good idea?

Because universities regularly are involved in disciplining their students, and they are not bound by the same standards and thresholds of a criminal court.

Seems that is the problem. They should stick to "disciplining" students over purely academic matters, and leave criminal matters to the courts. 

It strikes me at least of creating all sorts of problems to in effect "try" someone of a serious crime in what amounts to an administrative hearing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2014, 10:53:02 AM
"considered" to have been sexually assaulted?  That sounds like the very definition.

I sort of wanted to avoid rehashing this old argument.  I know that by the modern definition a drunk person is unable to give consent.  I've had sex while drunk and/or stoned.  Does that mean I've been assaulted?  I think that's silly.

Should cold-fishing a passed out girl be considered assault?  Sure.

Can drunk women want to have sex too?  Of course.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2014, 09:54:51 AM
And the important thing in this case, of course, is whether you believe she was raped.

Oh no.  Clearly the most important thing in this case is that a New Yorker writer thinks it is a totally badass thing to do.

New York Magazine, Yi, please.  That's like a Washington Post / Washington Times level of difference, in a different realm of course.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)