Columbia student carrying mattress until school expels her rapist

Started by garbon, September 24, 2014, 08:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:22:23 AM
Besides, considering the mentioned figure that 1 in 5 female students will be sexually assaulted while at university, seems like something should probably be done.
Problem is that sexual assault has now been defined broadly enough to trivialize the matter, though.  How many of those sexual assaults were rape rapes?

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on September 24, 2014, 10:39:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:34:27 AMOff hand, I can think of several friends who were sexually assaulted during their time at university

Yes, obviously you hung out with the cool crowd in college.  :wacko:

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on September 24, 2014, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 10:34:27 AM
Off hand, I can think of several friends who were sexually assaulted during their time at university.

How is sexual assault being defined here?  When I was in college some unattractive drunk girl grabbed my ass at a frat party-- that's technically sexual assault, isn't it?

Rape and one of the girls woke up with a stranger in her bed (she hadn't gone out that night so no it wasn't someone she picked up at a party).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I've given you fuckers the solution, and you rejected it.  Why should anyone bother doing anything?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 11:00:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2014, 10:53:02 AM
"considered" to have been sexually assaulted?  That sounds like the very definition.

I sort of wanted to avoid rehashing this old argument.  I know that by the modern definition a drunk person is unable to give consent.  I've had sex while drunk and/or stoned.  Does that mean I've been assaulted?  I think that's silly.

Should cold-fishing a passed out girl be considered assault?  Sure.

Can drunk women want to have sex too?  Of course.

Well I guess it depends on whether or not the woman you know wanted to be passed around. If she did then no, not rape.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 24, 2014, 11:05:59 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2014, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: Jacob on September 24, 2014, 09:54:51 AM
And the important thing in this case, of course, is whether you believe she was raped.

Oh no.  Clearly the most important thing in this case is that a New Yorker writer thinks it is a totally badass thing to do.

New York Magazine, Yi, please.  That's like a Washington Post / Washington Times level of difference, in a different realm of course.

I'd written a post that the New Yorker is very different* from NY Daily News and New York Magazine but decided to let it go. -_-

*for one the latter two generally have something enjoyable to read.

Barrister

For those doubting the "1 in 5" stat, here's a CDC fact sheet that sources those numbers back to some academic journals.

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/sv-datasheet-a.pdf
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 11:28:26 AM
Well I guess it depends on whether or not the woman you know wanted to be passed around. If she did then no, not rape.
It doesn't depend on it.  Once a person is drunk, they are not adult humans anymore, and have no wants or desires.

garbon

Yay, I'm the 5.3. :mellow:

edit: actually I guess the 5.8 stat fits better.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2014, 11:32:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 24, 2014, 11:28:26 AM
It doesn't depend on it.  Once a person is drunk, they are not adult humans anymore, and have no wants or desires.

I don't think that's true. Can you have a rape without a rape victim?

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2014, 11:31:05 AM
For those doubting the "1 in 5" stat, here's a CDC fact sheet that sources those numbers back to some academic journals.

I don't doubt the "sexual assault" stat.  I just have doubts as to what "sexual assault" means.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2014, 11:33:40 AM

I don't doubt the "sexual assault" stat.  I just have doubts as to what "sexual assault" means.

But there's a separate statistic that says onein five women report being raped in their lifetime, not merely sexually assaulted.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2014, 11:37:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 24, 2014, 11:33:40 AM

But there's a separate statistic that says onein five women report being raped in their lifetime, not merely sexually assaulted.

At any rate, it seems clear that the level is fairly high.

Josquius

She is spending her time in uni productively. She can get a column out of this.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2014, 11:37:13 AM
Lifetime spans more than 4 years in college.