News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Caves on Finance Reform

Started by The Minsky Moment, June 12, 2009, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2009, 06:53:26 PM
Having said that no-one seems to be doing it.  That makes more me worried because it seems like we're storing up future problems.  Obama is the one global leader who can do this right now.  At the minute I think Germany's coming up to election, Brown's spent and the government here is focused solely on his survival, in France Sarko's probably not strong enough to try any other big reforms any time soon and is hugely unpopular despite the PS's remarkably inability to succeed at anything.

I'm glad. Obama has already shown that he can't be trusted to manage the nation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

In other news, CBP is requesting a regulatory change to modify language declaring any assisted-opening knife a switchblade, making it illegal to import, and, consequently, making it illegal to own, since many states rely on the 1958 Switchblade Act and its regs for permissible knife use.  Hooray!

They may not take away our guns, but they're going to take away our pocketknives!

http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20Customs%20Proposed%20Ruling%20-%20Assisted%20Opening%20Knives.pdf
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on June 15, 2009, 06:43:09 PM
In other news, CBP is requesting a regulatory change to modify language declaring any assisted-opening knife a switchblade, making it illegal to import, and, consequently, making it illegal to own, since many states rely on the 1958 Switchblade Act and its regs for permissible knife use.  Hooray!

They may not take away our guns, but they're going to take away our pocketknives!

Any knife that opens automatically, using either centripetal force, springs, a button or other device has been illegal for many years in Canada (see s. 84 of the Criminal Code and the definition of "prohibited weapon").

And yet plenty of people still have pocketknives.  Hell this is the Yukon - its not unheard of for people to just wear big straping hunting knives on their belt.

Methinks you exagerate just a tad.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2009, 06:48:23 PM

Any knife that opens automatically, using either centripetal force, springs, a button or other device has been illegal for many years in Canada (see s. 84 of the Criminal Code and the definition of "prohibited weapon").

And yet plenty of people still have pocketknives.  Hell this is the Yukon - its not unheard of for people to just wear big straping hunting knives on their belt.

Oh, I'm so sorry.  Down here, we actually enforce our laws. 
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on June 15, 2009, 06:49:35 PM

You miss my point.

pocket knife != switchblade

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Not only that, but it seems that you even enforce things that aren't the law.  It's possible to have a pocketknife that isn't a switchblade or an assisted-opening knife.

So, what was it like going to law school with Martinus?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2009, 07:11:22 PM

Not only that, but it seems that you even enforce things that aren't the law.  It's possible to have a pocketknife that isn't a switchblade or an assisted-opening knife.

I wouldn't know.  My visa to Pogroms-R-Us was denied.  In fact, the new regs would cover knives with blade locks as well.  As you could read in the 63 page PDF I provided the executive summary to.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: Scipio on June 15, 2009, 07:29:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2009, 07:11:22 PM

I wouldn't know.  My visa to Pogroms-R-Us was denied.  In fact, the new regs would cover knives with blade locks as well.  As you could read in the 63 page PDF I provided the executive summary to.
I'm not going to read the .pdf.

Your summary was awful and inaccurate in that case.  You said 'assisted-opening knife', not 'lock-bladed knife'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.