Leftist economic ideas are based on the worst human emotions, the UK edition

Started by Tamas, September 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 04:04:36 PM
I would be in favor of supermajority requirements for any fiscal legislation that is not strictly proportional; i.e. an increase in the progressivity of the existing income tax rates.
:bleeding: I don't support them ever.

Also lots and lots of people don't vote in accordance with their economic self-interest. In fact I think if you were to weigh it up cultural values matter far, far more.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 04:04:36 PM
I would be in favor of supermajority requirements for any fiscal legislation that is not strictly proportional; i.e. an increase in the progressivity of the existing income tax rates.

Big surprise!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2014, 04:06:01 PM

The welfare state is the only thing keeping you alive & out of trenches.

What keeps us out of trenches, in fact, are nuclear weapons.

Martinus

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 05:46:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2014, 04:06:01 PM

The welfare state is the only thing keeping you alive & out of trenches.

What keeps us out of trenches, in fact, are nuclear weapons.
And tanks.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 04:42:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2014, 04:38:22 PM
Big surprise!

So is this!

Heh.  A year or so I suggested that Libertarians aren't really so keen on democracy.  You called bullshit.  I think this proves my point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

Sometimes democracy does in fact suck. Like when the southerners all voted for segregation. Popular opinion isn't all it's cracked up to be.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 23, 2014, 06:03:19 PM
Sometimes democracy does in fact suck. Like when the southerners all voted for segregation. Popular opinion isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I think the fact they used terror and disenfranchisement to create segregation sort of weakens the argument that it was flaw in Democracy.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 23, 2014, 03:26:53 PM
The current property taxes are regressive, I would prefer to see them replaced with a pro rata tax on the value of real estate. This would also raise far more money than the token "mansion tax" nonsense.

The residential property tax in the UK is known as the Council Tax. The highest band of house worth millions pays only 3x what someone living in a one-room hovel would pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax#Current_bands

What does the denominator represent in that table Tricky?  I can't be fannied to read the whole freakin article.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM
So, the Labour Party wants to finance the NHS by putting extra tax on expensive homes.

This is one of those populist BS stuff that pisses me off. Those houses were bought from taxed incomes. So why should they be able to go around discriminating people for the kind of houses they bought?

You're better off taxing property and sales than income.
Income tax can be dodged. Even some part of the sales tax can be avoided.  But you buy a house with dirty money, they will always get you there, unless you decide to really live permantly in the Virgin Island of the Isle of Man.  But then you'd have to pay sales tax on your hotel room for when you are in the UK...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.