Leftist economic ideas are based on the worst human emotions, the UK edition

Started by Tamas, September 23, 2014, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 02:23:10 PM

If it is illegal, sue them. If there are loopholes, fix them. Everything else is bullshit excuse for dirty populism aimed to please the plebs.
Is there anything about democracy you like? :P

I don't see the issue with this. We've got very low property taxes by international standards, especially when you compare London (which'll pay 90% of this tax) to, say, New York or Paris. Hopefully, though this is probably optimistic, it'll take a little air out of the bubble.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 23, 2014, 03:14:25 PM
I don't see the issue with this. We've got very low property taxes by international standards, especially when you compare London (which'll pay 90% of this tax) to, say, New York or Paris. Hopefully, though this is probably optimistic, it'll take a little air out of the bubble.

Then presumably taxes should be raised on everyone.

Richard Hakluyt

The current property taxes are regressive, I would prefer to see them replaced with a pro rata tax on the value of real estate. This would also raise far more money than the token "mansion tax" nonsense.

The residential property tax in the UK is known as the Council Tax. The highest band of house worth millions pays only 3x what someone living in a one-room hovel would pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax#Current_bands

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 03:19:17 PM
Then presumably taxes should be raised on everyone.
I've no issue with that. Council tax is based on property values in 1993 which is mad. Though I think an important part of the bubble is investment purchases of these properties. In London less than half of the houses with this valuation are even occupied and foreign owners are responsible for over 50% of purchases (and, until next year, don't pay CGT if they're non-doms). Personally I'd want to deflate it at the top and build Surrey for the rest :)

Personally though I'd far rather see a land value tax.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

If only there were easily recognizable pillars of leftdom lying around somewhere.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

If it is illegal, sue them. If there are loopholes, fix them. Everything else is bullshit excuse for dirty populism aimed to please the plebs.

I love little of democracy's marriage with the welfare state, yes, because I think it is a corrosive combination that is counterproductive. To solve this, I am not suggesting dropping democracy (although I would be very willing to accept some kind of solution which would limit influence on the budget to voters who actually contribute to it), I am suggesting cutting the welfare state.

Sheilbh

Democracy adopting the welfare state saved it :blink:

Quote(although I would be very willing to accept some kind of solution which would limit influence on the budget to voters who actually contribute to it)
So the elderly who've contributed for 40 years? The disabled? Everyone pays VAT, or does that not count?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 23, 2014, 03:53:32 PM

Quote(although I would be very willing to accept some kind of solution which would limit influence on the budget to voters who actually contribute to it)
So the elderly who've contributed for 40 years? The disabled? Everyone pays VAT, or does that not count?

I think Tamas wants a return to the poor laws and the workhouse.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I would be in favor of supermajority requirements for any fiscal legislation that is not strictly proportional; i.e. an increase in the progressivity of the existing income tax rates.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 23, 2014, 03:53:32 PM

He's reaching the terminal stages of libertarianism. :(  The limiting of democracy to destroy the evils of welfare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on September 23, 2014, 03:50:23 PM

I love little of democracy's marriage with the welfare state, yes, because I think it is a corrosive combination that is counterproductive. To solve this, I am not suggesting dropping democracy (although I would be very willing to accept some kind of solution which would limit influence on the budget to voters who actually contribute to it), I am suggesting cutting the welfare state.

The welfare state is the only thing keeping you alive & out of trenches.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.